Installing Windows XP on 2nd HDD

xit

Hey guys, last week I got a 80gig 7,200rpm Seagate Barra IV.

Now the thing is I have windows xp on it already, and it is selected as Drive F: (80 gig is slave)

I have Windows ME on a 30gig seagate which is drive C: (master)

I used to have the setup of:

C: Windows ME (partition 1)

D: Windows XP (partition 2)

E: CDROM

F: CDRW

Now after installing the HDD, as a slave, my setup is:

C: Windows ME

D: CDRW (dont mind these 2)

E: CDROM (dont mind these 2)

F: Windows XP.

My desired setup would be Windows XP on the HDD as D: not as F: , Im just wondering If anyone can help me?

Already tried changing driver letters in Computer management and it didn't seem to change to my desired letter.

edit: Topic is completely wrong, apologies.

you can use fdisc in DOS, or use a program like Partition Magic 7 to change the drive letters, they dont matter but if you would rather change them...

theres also shareware and freeware partition managers around if you cant get partition magic.

FthrJack and AAronXP suggested the best methods considering the configuration you are running. Partition Magic works every time for me.

If it was my PC I would create a dual boot configuration.

This would give you a menu that would allow you to select the operating system of your choice every time you start your PC.

We have a running thread that discusses how to create a dual boot system with Windows ME and Windows XP if you are interested:

http://www.msfn.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t...0bdad5cc4daec6b

I would suggest you just jump in to the above thread with any comments or questions.

Blackwar and I came up with these links from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...d/multiboot.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q217210

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q306559

A thought, since you have a new hard drive it is possibly faster than the old one? I would make it the master if it is the faster of the two otherwise the throughput will default to the lowest speed.

Hope this helps.

I know how to dual boot, I have been dual booting ME and XP for the past 8 months.

I bought the 2nd Hard-drive so i can have each OS on its own. As I stated i wanted ME on C: which it is, and XP on D: not F:, i guess i'll give Partition Magic a shot.

Thanks for the info guys. :)

Yeah Xit, we know what you mean, use Partition Magic 7 (on Both OSs!) to change the drive letters if Computer Management is being a b***h. You don't have to use it to partititon your drives.

To add, I've had experience that formatting the second hard drive as a complete primary partition will usually force it to D:\, and all the extended logical partitions (on first and second hard drives) come after D:\

I couldn't change the drive letter at all in a previous sceneario, to make the primary partition letter come after a logical letter. But now I was able to with a new HDD i bought a couple of days ago :)

make sure when you run the tool in PM7 you have it installed and running from ME and not XP.

Also is the 80 gig on the same cable as your 30? I know you said your running it as a slave but want to make sure your not running it as a slave off a cdrom.

-Xperties

yeah its running off the Motherboard --> 30gig --> 80gig.

The CDR and CDRW are also slave/mastered on a Different IDE channel on the mobo.

Well pulling the case open i figured out why the CDROM is E: - damin jumper setting, i have it as slave :)

Lol. Well i see i was late for this topic... Looks like the question been asnwered :)

I have heard about ME and XP dual booting, no problems there for ya.

I prefer DOS than Partition Magic but one day i will get round to use Partition magic :rolleyes:

And... Gl Xit.

Just an update on my situation:

I changed the jumpers on the CDROM and CDRW to have the CDROM as master.

I formatted the 80gig HDD, to my surprise after installing XP, everything was in place!

C: Windows ME

D: Windows XP

E: CDROM

F: CDRW

just like i wanted it.

There was one thing i was puzzled about though, Everytime i Installed XP I had to set up a user, go through all that crap, But this time it took me right into the Administrator Logon screen, anyone know why?

I did an advanced install, choose drive letter to install on and formatted from the CD.

:) Glad its all sorted now.

About the user: You will have 2 options, admin and youself (the name you entered during Setup). It wont have a password do just type in your name and there will be your user area. Admin really just there for network and printers etc, mind you, you can sort printers out from your user account.