Install applications via Intranet Site

I would like for my users to browse an intranet site & click an install link. I want it to then install the associated application. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this? Currently I'm using ZeroG Install Anywhere & it works great, but I'm looking for something different that doesn't require Java. I've been told I can do what I want using InstallShield, but there are going to be lots of applications, so I need something low maintenance. I would also like to know how to make applications install when needed.

EXAMPLE:

user clicks .PDF file & Adobe Reader isn't installed. I would like windows to automatically install Adobe Reader via the Intranet site.

Suggestions anyone?

I maybe way of the mark on this, and partially speculation.

I believe Server edition allows you to "assign" an application to a computer/user. What it does (from what I recall) is associate the filetype to that program. As soon as that person trys to open say a .pdf file, the installer kicks in. I want to do a reg snap shot, before and after assigning a user the application to see if it stores the host address / installer of the server locally, or if it locally copies the installer. Then I can create a batch file in my unnatend to associate all the files to applications and only run it, if I open that "type" of file.

Hope this helps?