need my multiboot screen back

cassy309

hi does anyone know how i can get my multiboot screen back? i have two hard drives one which is the c: drive it has xp pro on it and the other which is my f: drive the problem is i re-installed xp on my c: drive and now i can't log into the f: drive which has xp home i can access the files and everything but i want to switch between the two. the xp pro was an upgrade from home abd it has nothing on it but xp pro.

you need to change the boot.ini file for it to work so you can swicth between drives

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

should look something like that.

Go to Start, Run and enter this command: attrib -r c:\boot.ini

Next, Go to Start, Run and enter: notepad c:\boot.ini

Edit the file and then save.

No need to go to safe mode. If you are just adding an entry, the first entry will be okay as long as you don't change it. If the new entry is wrong, you can always boot up with the first entery again and make any needed corrections.

i did what you guys told me to do but now i cannot log into xp pro i am on the xp home side that i was trying to log in into here's what my boot.ini looks like at the moment it said something about a repair on the c: drive side when i treid to boot into it. i will restart to see what it is saying

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating sytems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows xp Professional"

/fast detect

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partiton(1)\WINDOWS=" Microsoft Windows xp home"

/fast detect

here's what i am getting when i try to boot into windows xp pro

windows could not start because the following files is missing or corrupt

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom

select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

i am going to try to repair it if this doesn't work then i will try the recovery console

i would like to thank all of you for helping me in advance i will let you know what worked.

can't i just re-install xp so the installation can repalce the file that is missing or corrupt i have nothing on that drive which is c: i am on the f: drive or is it easier the way you guys told me?

Sure. If you'd rather re-install XP on your C: drive, then that shouldn't be a problem. You can either to a clean install (reformat C: and then install XP) or a repair install. If you choose to do a clean install, all you have to do is put in your XP CD, and reboot. When you get to the options for selecting which partition, just select C: and reformat.

If you try to do a reinstall without reformatting, then you'll end up with two installations of XP on that drive. That is, unless you choose to do a repair install. A repair install would probably be the easiest.

i have no idea on whats going on with my pc at the moment i put the xp disk in and when i go to repair it's showing only a "d" so i repaired that "d" drive it it happened to be the drive that i am in now which is my "f" drive my drives are set up as follows in my computer: local disk c:

local disk f:

3 1/2 floppy a:

dvd drive:e

cd-rw drive:d

when i boot from cd it is not showing me any c or f drives :)

Okay, forget the repair install. Just do a new install on whatever partition/drive is available other than D:\. Reboot with your XP CD and it should detect your c: drive and let you install to that.