XP how many versions?

kimandsally

Does any one know how many versions of XP are or were made?

It interets me so that I can find out how old various copies/versions are and hopefully the service packs included in them.

What would happen if say someone with a late version of XP were to try to install all the updates onto a slipstreamed CD?

Would things go wrong? or would it just ignore that fact that maybe two fixes are on the same CD?

One of the reasons I ask is that I am going to attempt to build several slipstreamed CD's obviously they are not all mine they are for various friends of mine and I don't know if when I get there discs that they are all the same.

I want to do it as a project to help me get into this subject a little better but don't want to wreck any one's computer whilst I am having fun.

My own being version 5.1 build 2600 I don't actually know how old my own is as it was purchased secondhand with a computer which is now dead.

Thanks in anticipation. :)

I think there are only two different versions which are an original version and SP1. I do not think slipstreaming sp1 will damage WXP installer even if it is sp1 version since what slipstreamig does is replacing and adding certain files. Maybe an error message is generated which indicates the target installer is SP1 version so that there is no need to slipstream or something.

If your friend wants to upgrade his system to sp1 then simply running Windows Update will accomplish it.

Kaz