WXP & compressed files

sen

if you have any idea why it's happening to me, please post your opinion.

there are some zip files i can open with windows (total) commander but i get an error message when i try to open the rest of my compressed zip files.

and the built-in XP zip feature opens the zip files (i can view them with explorer) but all of their contents looks like this:

zip.jpg

the filenames (foldernames too) changed to "WINDOWS" word and when i try to extract them it says "can't find the path specified"

rar files seems to be empty in total commander but unrar does nothing.

When i try to compress zip files with the built-in client errormsg says:

The compression cannot be performed because the file or directory 'D:\folder' contains  characters in its name that Compressed Folders cannot store: D

i have an unrar command line version executable. it just won't run. when i type unrar to the command prompt it's blank and then quits (by default it should show the command line switches description for unrar).

i tried to reinstall unrar and later i downloaded the full winrar too but its installer is a bit different (i think it's compressed too). when i try to install winrar it shows in its dialog: Extracting - Cannot create, Cannot create - Extracting - Cannot create.... and i get a windows error message (similiar to Mohammed's errormsg: "Some files could not be created. Close all apps and reboot."

I downloaded WinZip but it can't open any zipfiles.

I downloaded the old pkunzip - it can open rest of the zip files but sometimes it says: "pkunzip old version, this file requires v3.6!"

Interesting.

I tried to compare by properties those zip files i can open and those i can't but there's no information.

I know a simple solution and i resolved it by installing a clean windows (it worked, the new system doesn't have this bug). It's okay but i don't like to forget such errors. I would like to know what causes it.

I tried to remember what changes i made before i experienced the first error of a compressed file but there was no special changes. No virus found, etc.

M$ support is useless, no information @ google... etc.

It was a coincidence finding this forum with the same error message.

(cfg: asus p4p800, p4-2.4-800, 2x256ddr400, modded winxpsp1@ntfs since 2004 february)

thanks for your attention

i think the root of the problem might be this errormsg:

The compression cannot be performed because the file or directory 'D:\folder' contains  characters in its name that Compressed Folders cannot store: D

This should mean the file cannot store the drive letter of a partition :)

Something must be broken in the registry.

What did you use to compress the files?

Also, if you open the zip files on another computer, do they open correctly, or is it a bad zip?

most of zip files are downloaded from the internet but i tried to compress with winrar, winzip, xpbuilt-in - they didn't work

total commander's built-in zip and freezip could compress but not decompress!

there are only a few (downloaded) zip files i can open with freezip or totalcommander.

i tried them on another computer and i installed a clean windows on mine - it's okay. i can open all files there.

but i would like to know what causes the problem in the old windows installation.

I have the same problem! I was giving someone a compressed file, and I went to extract it and when opening it said I didn't have permission, or that it didnt exist. Continuing to click it would say either. (And no im not stupid, I didn't open the server). And none of the files would work. But on my virtual PC, the zip worked fine. Other zips and other compressed files work fine on my comp. Kind of odd. *makes puzzled face* And no im not infected. Ive tried different zip clients and just double clicking on the executable. I also sent it to a friend compressed and he said it extracted fine. Im confused!

Excuse me, i do an up again on this stupid topic

but i think i've found the root of my problem.

I've found the coherence.

I realized can't open any compressed files those contain files/folders with long names (longer than 8.3).

Does anybody know how to fix this? :)

Compressed files with the old 8.3 format are OK.

----

Edit: Somebody told me something about the language options and i checked windowsxp Regional and Language Options, the Advanced tab where the Code Page Conversion Tables are listed. It was totally empty...

I think this causes my problem.

I don't know how to get back these conversion tables.