Longhorn Multiboot

Bullets

Hey Guys, i'm new here and i've been trying to make a multiboot DVD with two of the 400x+ builds of longhorn. Therefore, they both have their own boot folder. The guide i'm using (flyakite) says to rename the cdshell folder and leave the longhorn folder as boot because its easier, however, i am assuming i would need to rename the longhorn boot folder to something else and leave CDshell alone. Does anyone know where to find a guide on what to change so that the longhorn boot folder can be successfully changed to another name? Thanks.

PS

Any other suggestions on how to do this are appreciated.

You will need to change the BOOT folder and the Sources folder. The BOOT folder is easy - just rename BOOT to whatever you want and hex edit setupldr.bin in the new BOOT folder to what you renamed the folder to. You also need to make BOOT.DAT files (the 4k loader files), just change BOOT to the name of your new folder.

The second problem is you will need to rename the Sources directory. This i think would be tricky because the Longhorn WinPE is compressed in the sources.bin (?) file and uncompressed on the fly when you boot longhorn.

I have never done this, but my theory would be to make 2 BOOT and 2 Sources folders.

For example, let's say you want to put 4008 and 4053 on a cd/dvd. Rename the 4008 BOOT folder to 4008; rename the 4053 BOOT folder to 4053. Hex edit setupldr.bin in 4008 to 4008; hex edit setupldr.bin in 4053 and change BOOT to 4053. Make 2 boot sectors (the 4k boot sects), and change BOOT to 4008 and 4053, respectfully.

Rename the Sources directory on each longhorn to Src4008 and Src4053, for both.

Boot from each Longhorn original cd, and when setup is on the screen do shift + f10, and go into the BOOT folder. You will see the folder magically has all the winpe files. Copy the BOOT directory (which should be 100+ megs) to the hard drive, then exit setup and reboot into windows. From this folder you copied take txtsetup.sif and change the setupsourcepath to your new Sources directories.

You might need to load setupreg.hiv in regedit and change HKLM\Setup to the correct Sources directory.

So in 4008 and 4053 you should have setupldr.bin, txtsetup.sif,setupreg.hiv, and the other 1 or 2 files that were already in that directory.

You might need to edit the files in Src4008 and Src4053 to point to the right Sources directory. Just hex edit each file in that directory and change Sources to the respective name.

That should work, but ive never tried it and don't feel like trying it. The reason why i think this will work is Longhorn will use any files in a directory before using the sources.bin or whatever that file is called.

-gosh

-gosh

ok, i'm having minimal success here...i tried exactly what you said Gosh and only a few things happened...on my first attempt it launched bootfix and said "press any key to boot from cd" and then i pressed any key and it instead of booting winPE it rebooted...the next attempt, i copied the ENTIRE unpacked boot folder into the boot folder on my AIO dvd. 4053 folder, for reference to the previous article. Now, i pressed any key and it booted into the winPE. Soon as its supposed to start do look like "Windows Longhorn" with the orange bar underneath, i got a blue screen saying "A problem has been detected, etc." with error code 0x0000007B. So, it seems to boot the setupldr fine...but i'm not sure whats happening after that. Any insight is appreciated.

PS

Nothing in the Sources folder had to be changed to say Src4053 intead of Sources...i checked every file in hex editor...and came up with nothing...

PPS

One other ting, when i replaced the words BOOT in longhorns setupldr it replaced it 114 times...quite a lot more than the 4 from the xp-like install..lol...perhaps there are some things changing that shouldn't be?

Thanks again

:)

umm.....

I'm betting alot of those are the

"Could not boot from CD...."

messages or whatnot.

I'll try a few experiments later on this.....and by later I mean most likely Friday or Saturday, as I have a banquet tonight (yes, nice good formal situation....) and then girlfriend Friday.

Gosh,

One other thing...i was reading through your "analysis of longhorns winpe" and i realized something...(oh, fyi, the pics on that page don't work)...you said that the .sys file in the boot folder is what accesses and then unpacks the .wim file...so i thre it into hex editor and sure enonugh there are several references to install.wim...so im' going to play aroud with that for a while...anyone else wants ot jump in and try too they're welcome :) see ya.

and still no luck..that file, despite my changing the location of install.wim, did not solve the issue...it continued to simply reboot after "pressing any key to boot from cd..."...anyone else have some ideas?

I have one idea:

there is one file - fs_ext.sys in folder called boot. You can find there one link to install.wim with full path.

I'm trying to create multiboot DVD with LH 3683, 4051 and 4074. 3683 - works, but two other - shows just black screen. And nothing more.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...