TEXTMODE MassStorageDrivers Method

trainee

I have finally created an unattended install XP pro cd using the TEXTMODE MassStorageDrivers Method for my ASUS A7V333 that has the Promise 20276 Raid chip on it (Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite (tm) Controller). I also have a ASUS A7V133 that also has a Promise Raid chip on it (Promise FastTrak100 (tm) Lite Controller). What my question is, is.....can I make 1 cd that can be used for both systems........i.e. combine the txtmode.oem files for both raid chips into one file and list all the driver files for both raid chips in my winnt.sif and have it work on each system?

lol, me too, i wasted like 20 cd'r when i first got into Nlite'ing/Driverpack'ing/and now TEXTMODE'ing. I switched over to CDRW and now I don't have to worry about the waste. However, I should warn that you do keep a hard copy (CDR) of a working install once you have it, that way if you ever erase the CDRW you still have a good reference copy. (i forgot to do that and i recently had to remake all my older work). But trainee has made it much easier for me now with RASOR, maybe he can support your drivers (or does he already?).

Uh-oh...I just relocated across the country and have just started a new job. My computer, furniture, bed etc are in transit and I don't have a permanent place to live <sigh>. So I will try to get to things as I can. I only have my work computer and its not a windows box :P. Very sorry about this. Trying to make progress for you guys....must sleep....sleeeeeeep.

According to [url="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/depopt/gdautset.mspx"]this article[/url], you can't make subfolders in the TEXTMODE folder.

Can anyone proove otherwise? (By this I mean, doesn't anyone know a work-around or something?)

EDIT: It's been tested and it doesn't work... :'( anyone ideas? (I don't like messed up folders!)

EDIT2: then why ARE there subdirectories for some drivers? e.g.: Adaptec SATA RAID 1210SA driver's txtsetup.oem:

[code][Disks]
d1   = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \hraidsk1, \Win2000

# directory
#    Specifies the directory on the disk where the installation files are
#    located. The directory must be specified as a full path from the root and
#    must not specify a drive.[/code]

EDIT3: found why it wasn't working :) also in the same txtsetup.oem:

[code]# tagfile
#   Specifies the name of a verification file on the disk. The filename must
#   be specified as a full path from the root and must not specify a drive.
#   Setup checks for this file to ensure that the user inserted the correct
#   disk.[/code]
going to retry with subfolders now...

hey Bâshrat the Sneaky, you have to edit your txtsetup.oem for it to work on your cd. The txtsetup.oem that you got with the driver files from Adaptec is for use on a floppy (F6 install). Edit this:
[Disks]
d1 = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \hraidsk1, \Win2000

to:
[Disks]
d1 = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \hraidsk1, \

in your $OEM$\TEXTMODE and your I386\$OEM$ folders, you will have all these files and NO subfolders:
txtsetup.oem
hraidsk1
aar1210.cat
aar1210.sys
adhraid.cat
adhraid.inf
oemsetup.inf

Well, I've done it quite differently :) I'm convinced it should work with subfolders, which will help to make it easier in maintenance!

[code][Disks]
d1 = "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID Driver Ver 1.00 For Windows 2000/XP", \ADAPTEC\ADAPTEC, ADAPTEC\ADAPTEC\controller_subfolder[/code]

Going to test it now :)

Just though I would add I have a Silicon Image 3112r pci SATA controller.

I tried to install Windows XP Pro (original not sp1/sp2). After hitting F6 to install a 3rd party Mass Storage Device I put in the floppy containing the 2ch x86 files from the CD that came with it. My drive is a 200gb Maxtor.

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

was the error, It seems this is a very common problem. I went to the silicon image and updated from the .50 driver to 3x12_x86_rdvr-logod-10051.zip and copied the files onto the floppy.

No improvement - same error message again and again. I read on a forum that someone had this error, and then it suddenly worked for no reason. So I just hammered 'S' and enter about 25 times, took out the floppy, rammed it back in and did it a few times again. Eventually it took. No logic at all to it. The floppy was new and formatted (not quick format) with no errors on it.

Anyway, I will be ghosting the bare XP install as soon as possible, I don't want to have to do that again :)

POD

@Pod: Method 2 does not allow you to use a floppy with your unattended installation. To the best of my knowledge there is no method that will allow you to use a floppy disk with an unattended install. Again this guide tells you how to adapt your floppy files to your unattended XPCD and NOT how to use a floppy with an unattended install.

• 1 month later...
I've tried this method to get the RAID controller working in my Sager 9860 notebook, which is a Promise 378.

I was able to get everything put onto the CD without issue, and it loads fine in VirtualPC... but loading on the laptop itself it acts like there's no MSD loaded at all ("Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer").

This is my first time integrating an MSD, so I may have done something wrong.

Contents of the created folders:
[code]E:\CD_Root\$OEM$\TEXTMODE>dir /b
fasttx2k
Fasttx2k.cat
fasttx2k.INF
fasttx2k.sys
ptipbmf.dll
txtsetup.oem

E:\CD_Root\$OEM$\$$\OemDir>dir /b
ptipbmf.dll

E:\CD_Root\I386\$OEM$>dir /b
fasttx2k
Fasttx2k.cat
fasttx2k.INF
fasttx2k.sys
ptipbmf.dll
txtsetup.oem[/code]

The txtsetup.oem file:
[code][Disks]
d1 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \

[Defaults]
scsi = FastTrak_TX2K_xp

[scsi]
FastTrak_TX2K_xp = "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller", fasttx2k

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
driver = d1, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
inf    = d1, ptipbmf.dll
inf    = d1, fasttx2k.inf
catalog= d1, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376", "fasttx2k"
id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373", "fasttx2k"

[Config.fasttx2k]
value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1[/code]

And my WINNT.SIF file:
[code];SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[UserData]
   ComputerName=calico

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=DefaultHide
   OemPreinstall=No
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=20

[TapiLocation]
   AreaCode=501

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=BOREALIS

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
   iis_common=On
   iis_inetmgr=On
   iis_ftp=Off
   iis_www=On
   iis_www_vdir_printers=Off
   iis_www_vdir_terminalservices=Off
   iis_smtp=Off
   iis_smtp_docs=Off
   iis_nntp=Off
   iis_nntp_docs=Off
   iisdbg=Off
   indexsrv_system=Off
   msnexplr=Off
   netoc=Off
   zonegames=Off

[MassStorageDrivers]
   "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller" = "OEM"
   "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]
   txtsetup.oem
   fasttx2k
   fasttx2k.inf
   fasttx2k.cat
   fasttx2k.sys
   ptipbmf.dll[/code]

Any suggestions? I also have an LSI 21320-R driver I want to tackle next if we can get these working.