Driver Install for Matrox Cards failes..

monstersnatch

Hello,

I have some problems to report regarding the unattended driver installation; maybe someone can help me.

in the folder $OEM$\$1\Drivers\matrox i have the needed driver files for the Matrox graphics card (dualg400.cat DUALG400.inf dualg550.cat DUALG550.inf etc. etc.) and the folder is properly linked in the winnt.sif!

WinXP does NOT automatically recognize the device drivers (wich btw are WHQL certified) unless, during the post install, I'm going to specify EXACTLY which .inf file to use!

What is going wrong?!

Annex: I'm using a preactivated version of the XP CD (University Licence) incl. SP1

I would appreciate any suggestions and/or solutions ;-)

..well, the purpose of this xpcd including the drivers is installing the OS on multiple desktops at an institute regardless of the installed hardware. As you can imagine there are different matrox cards, so i have to place all the drivers on the cd!

thanx but this does not solve my problem.. yet! ;-)

You need to edit the setup.ini file from the unpacked Matrox driver installs. I unzipped the drivers into my $OEM$\$1\Drivers\004_graphics\Matrox folder and edited the setup.ini file so it would look like this (I am using the Parhelia\P-Series card):

[SETUP]
PackageName = Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750
InstallPowerDeskVisible = false
InstallPowerDesk = false
.NETRequired = TRUE
IniFormatVersion=2.0

SILENT = YES
REBOOT = NO
DISPLAYMODE = 1280,1024,96
RESET_USER_CONFIG_PDESK = YES
RESET_USER_CONFIG_DRIVER = YES
COPY_ALL_DRIVERS = YES

[CO-INSTALL]
POSTRUN = Setup.exe /COINSTALL

[WIZARD]
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_0527-SUBSYS_0850102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_0527-SUBSYS_0840102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_0527-SUBSYS_0880102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_0528-SUBSYS_1020102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_0528-SUBSYS_1030102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_0528-SUBSYS_14E1102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537-SUBSYS_1820102B = 2D
PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537-SUBSYS_1830102B = 2D

[VHEAD]
DUALPARH.inf

[FAMILY]
mtxparh.inf = Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750

I added the lines in the [sETUP] section that begin with REBOOT and [CO-INSTALL] and [WIZARD] sections. If you go to the Matrox Forums and ask for the unattended install documents they will email it to you. The only other thing you need to check is that winnt.sif contains the path to the drivers. The device IDs are taken from the mtxparh.inf file. The syntax will be identical in the Gxx series drivers.

You need to edit the setup.ini file from the unpacked Matrox driver installs...

..thanx. unfortunatly there is no setup.ini file in the unzipped 2kxp_592_006.exe file i've just downloaded from the matrox ftp (driver release for Matrox G200, G200 MMS, G400, G450, G450 MMS and G550)

..please post a link to the matrox forums. thanx.

There is no setup.ini file in the driver package. Just write up your own setup.ini file. Here's an example for the G200:

[SETUP]       
INF_FILENAME = G200.inf
VERSION = Matrox PowerDesk Setup - 5.00.000
LANGUAGE = ENG
SILENT = YES
REBOOT = NO
DISPLAYMODE = 800,600,16,96
RESET_USER_CONFIG = YES
RUN_QDESK = NO
RUN_DIAG = NO
COPY_ALL_DRIVERS = YES
LOGFILE = Matrox Setup.log

[REGISTRY]
User.AGP = 1
Mga.AGPFlags = 04,01,00,00

[TV_STANDARDS]
Canada = NTSC
France = PAL

INF_FILENAME should be the .inf file for your card. VERSION should 5.92.006. The others should be self-explanatory

INF_FILENAME should be the .inf file for your card.

thanx verramuch ;-)

..now this may work for a system with the specified card BUT how should i manage the INF_FILENAME for more than one card:

i have 101 systems with matrox g450 / g550 cards on which i want to perform an unattended install, without checking every single system if it's a 450 or 550 and so on..

is there a possibility of automation?!

ps. do i really need the following files: GSeries.cab, Setup.exe, SetupRes.dll ?!

• 3 weeks later...

monstersnatch,

did you ever get it to work? I just finished creating a Windows 2000 unattended install CD and I just unpacked the latest G4xx drivers into my $oem$\$1\Drivers\004_graphics directory in a directory called G4xx, added it to my OEMPnPDriversPath and away it went, silently installing it for my G400MAX. No need for a setup.inf file. :)

I have a Matrox G400 in my other computer here... I haven't tried the unattended install yet but I'm curious how many people have tried the latest drivers with Windows XP SP2 RC2?

I don't want to reformat that PC until I have this unattended CD perfect. I just want to know what my chances of this working are.

Edit: WooHoo! 300 posts! :)

@peachy: well, donnow how You've managed it without a .inf file..

[SETUP]       
INF_FILENAME = G550W.inf
VERSION = Matrox PowerDesk Setup - 5.92.006
LANGUAGE = ENG
SILENT = YES
REBOOT = NO
DISPLAYMODE = 1024,768,32,96
RESET_USER_CONFIG = YES
RUN_QDESK = NO
RUN_DIAG = NO
COPY_ALL_DRIVERS = YES
LOGFILE = matrox.log

[REGISTRY]
User.AGP = 1
Mga.AGPFlags = 04,01,00,00

[TV_STANDARDS]
Canada = NTSC
France = PAL

I'm quite puzzled about this, if a set the INF_FILENAME flag to another driver it won't work, but this way it recognizes ALL Matrox G-Series Cards..

• 2 months later...
I have a Matrox G400 in my other computer here... I haven't tried the unattended install yet but I'm curious how many people have tried the latest drivers with Windows XP SP2 RC2?

I don't want to reformat that PC until I have this unattended CD perfect. I just want to know what my chances of this working are.

Edit: WooHoo! 300 posts! :P

Well it works with SP2 RTM. :thumbup

• 3 years later...
.NETRequired = TRUE

I changed to:

.NETRequired = FALSE

Although .NET is required (for the PowerDesk), stops Setup from failing install of PowerDesk (if .NET is currently absent); PowerDesk will still install.

PowerDesk will only be enabled, on first reboot, after install of .NET

Comment: .NET is not required for the Graphics Driver.

[SETUP]
SILENT = YES

Need more!

Something like:

[SETUP]
INDEPENDENT_MODE = NO

I resisted the urge to click the dialog:

'Do you want Independent Mode on this Matrox Graphics Package?' YES/NO

Though the Driver did install, nothing else in Package did, as Setup was waiting for input, and will only wait for a determinable time.

NOTE:

I contacted Matrox at http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/su.../requestdoc.php

They told me to run SETUP.EXE for each installation (I have three Systems with Matrox Graphics).

(Their interest is Corporate with hundreds/thousands, not faithful small Purchasers).

So I replied that I will not be purchasing Matrox in future.

I will solve the problem with the single Driver Install dialog (given time) and post the answer/result.

Edited by jda-au

• 1 month later...

Subject: MS Windows Install Unattended Setup, Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750

To automate P650/P750 Driver installation, and dispense with the following dialog:

['Do you want Independent Mode on this Matrox Graphics Package?' YES/NO] Note: Dialog default is "YES"

.. add

NoIndependentPrompt = true to "MtxSetup.ini" [sETUP]

PromptForIndependentDisplays = false to "MtxSetup.ini" [sETUP]

// * Filename: "MtxSetup.ini"
// * Matrox Driver Filename: Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750 "xp2k_111_00_114_hf_whql.exe" Release Date: Jan 17, 2006
[SETUP]
NoIndependentPrompt = true
PromptForIndependentDisplays = false

To avoid the only other dialog that (may) appear(s) during installation, a possible .NET Framework warning if installing PowerDesk,

change .NETRequired = TRUE to .NETRequired = FALSE NOTE: PowerDesk requires .NET Framework, but does not require .NET Framework to be present/installed for "Matrox PowerDesk" to install. Please note .NET Framework is not required for the AGP P650/P750 Driver.

[.NET]
.NETRequired = false

The only other change to the default (as supplied) "MtxSetup.ini" was a change to the default Bootup XResolution = 800 YResolution = 600 Monitor Size.

/*Default boot-up resolution
HKR::DefaultSettings.XResolution:DWORD:1280
HKR::DefaultSettings.YResolution:DWORD:1024

To put it all together:

// * Matrox Driver Filename: Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750 "xp2k_111_00_114_hf_whql.exe"
// *
[SETUP]
// * The following were added
ResetAllSettings = false
ResetAllSettingsVisible = false
NoIndependentPrompt = true
PromptForIndependentDisplays = false
EnableIndependentDisplays = false
SilentInstall = true
ForceNoReboot = true
// * End of additional Settings
InstallPowerDesk = false
LOGFILE = MtxSetup.log
IniFormatVersion=2.0

[.NET]
.NETRequired = false

[AddReg.0528.1571102B]

/*Default boot-up resolution
HKR::DefaultSettings.XResolution:DWORD:1280
HKR::DefaultSettings.YResolution:DWORD:1024

If you change the Default Bootup Resolution, you may also wish to change the "mtxparh.inf" to the same X/Y Resolution, e.g.

// * Filename: "mtxparh.inf"
// * Matrox Driver Filename: Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750 "xp2k_111_00_114_hf_whql.exe"
// *

[AddReg.DefModes]
HKR,,DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel,0x00010001,32
HKR,,DefaultSettings.XResolution,0x00010001,1280
HKR,,DefaultSettings.YResolution,0x00010001,1024

Success? :thumbup (You bet!)

For other possibly helpful "MtxSetup.ini" settings, see: peachy's Help Click here!

Final comment: "Why Matrox Inc. could not have answered my very short and to the point query, instead of a much longer negative directive/reply and an explanation/excuse about Corporate ...,"; "Is beyond my understanding (maybe I just don't want to understand)!"

-- It just proves how much they (don't) value the ordinary customer --

PS.

IMPORTANT: Apart from extracting the files from the downloaded Driver-file, you must (also) extract the files in "Mtxparh.cab"

All files to be in the one Directory/Folder.

Helpful hint: You can later (after OS installed) change "MtxSetup.ini" "mtxparh.inf" settings, (unless you delete driver-files after install). Goto "%systemroot%\?????\?????" (Where ????? = the related Driver Folder/Directory).

Note that unless you add "Setup.exe" to Driver-list of Driver-files to be copied, (I am bit lazy, so I add Driver-files using NLite, and NLite does not include "Setup.exe" in copy-list), unsure - you may not be able to run the Driver-file at a later time - unsure. I copy "Setup.exe" at later stage of my own copy routine.

PPS.

A very helpful hint: I opened "Setup.exe" in Notepad and with some scrolling, plus some use of Find, it was in a reasonable time and I had the correct "Unattended Settings" for inclusion on "Unattended XP Pro SP2 Installation"; (no thank's are due to Matrox Inc.! :realmad: ).

I tried peachy's Settings, (see above link), did not work for my Driver Version.

Hope this is of assistance. :thumbup

Additional (Feb 8, 2008):

Above "mtxSetup.ini" settings will (should) also work with Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750 Driver-files up to and including: "vxp2k_113_00_158_hf.exe" released on May 08, 2007

The only difference concerns:

// * "mtxsetup.ini"
[.NET]
.NETRequired = false

At some stage in the past, this setting was changed to:

// * "mtxsetup.ini"
[.NET]
.NetVersionRequired=2.0

Which only relates to PowerDesk, could be commented out.

Finally, a bit of fun at the expense of Matrox Inc. :blushing:

// * Matrox Program Error: (Software Programmer Error); (as supplied):

// * Driver Filename: "vxp2k_113_00_158_hf.exe" Release date: May 08, 2007

// * Filename: "MtxUpgradeTasks.ini"

[Backup.File]
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Matrox\PowerDesk\8.0x = *.*
%SERSPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Matrox\PowerDesk\8.0x = *.*

// * Let's play spot the Programming Error! :yes:

Comment: It has been in their System for a very long time!

22nd July, 2008. Unattended/Silent (Matrox) Driver Install.

I was creating a new unattended "XP Pro SP 3" installation CDRW, and using "vxp2k_113_00_158_hf.exe" released on May 08, 2007; will not install on XP Sevice Pack 3.

Updated to "vxp_206_02_004_se_u_whql.exe" released on Jun. 25, 2008. Installed with no problems/errors.

Attention: (24th July, 2008) Something strange going on with Driver "vxp_206_02_004_se_u_whql.exe". Firstly, I removed the INF & CAB files which did not apply to my Millenium/Parhelia, unattended Setup failed, during locating Display Device/Driver. So I restored the removed files, Setup succeeded (to successfully strip this Driver Version, at a guess, need to remove all references to Display Device from kept INI/INF files that do not apply to your Device); anyhow, (Unattended) Setup loaded my Parhelia, but used a default VGA driver, and informed me that the Driver was for a previous version of MS Windows.

Perhaps Matrox have changed/altered some of the switches I have provided below.

Please Note: Running (Matrox) Setup using the switches provided below, the Driver is installed silently, but is disabled by Windows System (System loads the default VGA driver).

I will need to check which switch(es) are invalid, and check for new switches.

Update: I have checked the switches, they do exist. (I don't know what the problem is!).

Please Note: "mtxpar.inf" is missing that final necessary blank line (empty return).

Adding/changing "mtxsetup.ini" settings as below is causing BOINC (seti_advanced) repeated "Windows 0xc0000005 error (Access Violation)" errors; so use below settings with caution. (I will see if I can find a Driver written only for "Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750", instead of this generic Driver).

I first inserted the following lines into "mtxsetup.ini"; which allows for a (completely) Silent Install. Insert after "PackageName = Matrox PowerDesk-SE".

NOTE: InstallPowerDeskVisible = false (already exists).

NOTE: InstallPowerDesk = false (already exists, is set to true by Matrox).

The switches are self explanatory.

; Filename: "mtxsetup.ini", Matrox Driver Version (for XP) "vxp_206_02_004_se_u_whql.exe"
[SETUP]
PackageName = Matrox PowerDesk-SE
SilentInstall = true
ForceNoReboot = true
InstallPowerDesk = false

[FAMILY]
;
; NOTE: "Comment out all EXCEPT your particular Graphics Card, and you can delete the corresponding *.INF, *.CAT, *.CAB
; NOTE: For unattended Windows Setup, YOU MUST extract files from your particular *.CAB. "MS XP Setup" WILL NOT extract
; during Setup
;
; MSerX.inf = Matrox M-Series version 2.06.02.004
mtxpar.inf = Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750, version 2.06.00.002
; G550.inf = Matrox G550 Series, version 5.96.004
; G450.inf = Matrox G450 Series, version 5.96.004
; G450MMS.inf = Matrox G450MMS, version 5.96.004
; G400.inf = Matrox G400 Series, version 5.96.004
; G200.inf = Matrox G200 Series, version 5.96.004
; G200MMS.inf = Matrox G200MMS, version 5.96.004

I also changed the Default Bootup Mode in "mtxpar.inf" from the default 32 x 800 x 600, e.g.,

[AddReg.DefModes]
HKR,,DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel,0x00010001,32
HKR,,DefaultSettings.XResolution,0x00010001,1280
HKR,,DefaultSettings.YResolution,0x00010001,1024

27th July, 2008

Filename: "vxp_206_02_004_se_u_whql.exe" released on Jun. 25, 2008.

In reference to: Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750

I have re-enabled the settings in "mtxsetup.ini", seems cannot remove references to other Graphics Cards, not without rewriting.

I have also restored/kept all files in package, but only extracting all files from "MtxPar.cab" which is for my particular Graphics Driver.

; Filename: "mtxsetup.ini", Matrox Driver Version (for XP) "vxp_206_02_004_se_u_whql.exe"
[SETUP]
PackageName = Matrox PowerDesk-SE
ResetAllSettings = true
ResetAllSettingsVisible = true
NoIndependentPrompt = false \* No effect
PromptForIndependentDisplays = true \* No effect
EnableIndependentDisplays = true \* No effect
SilentInstall = true
ForceNoReboot = true
InstallPowerDesk = false
IniFormatVersion=2.0

[FAMILY]
MSerX.inf = Matrox M-Series version 2.06.02.004
mtxpar.inf = Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750, version 2.06.00.002
G550.inf = Matrox G550 Series, version 5.96.004
G450.inf = Matrox G450 Series, version 5.96.004
G450MMS.inf = Matrox G450MMS, version 5.96.004
G400.inf = Matrox G400 Series, version 5.96.004
G200.inf = Matrox G200 Series, version 5.96.004
G200MMS.inf = Matrox G200MMS, version 5.96.004

Important: (No final empty line). Must add a final (empty, as in blank line) to end of "mtxpar.inf"

; Filename: "mtxpar.inf"
\* "mtxpar.inf"
[Strings.0A];Spanish
MtxUninstallDisplayName = "Matrox controlador"
MtxUninstallHelpLink = "http://www.matrox.com/graphics/es/support"
MtxUninstalUrlInfoAbout = "http://www.matrox.com/graphics/es/
\* This is added (empty) return.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Whichever type of Graphics Card/Driver you have/are using, (the above Driver supports several), you must extract files from your particular version of *.cab when you are adding files to your Installation Disc. The *.cab files do not need to be included.

Edited by jda-au

Subject: MS Windows Install Unattended Setup, Matrox Parhelia & Millennium P650/P750

I am mystified by the following, in particular, why is Setup (MS Windows XP Pro Setup) rejecting Device: "Matrox Millennium P650"; Driver: "Matrox Millennium P650"; Provider: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Mfg: "Matrox Graphics Inc." ?

Reason:#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000001 to 0x0000c001.

// * Filename: "setupapi.log" extracted "Matrox" from setupapi.log

// * "Matrox Millenium, Parhelia P650/750" Driver Installation routine:

#-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup -newsetup

// * Comment: This is newer Driver downloaded from Matrox Graphics Inc. Date Released: Jan 17, 2006

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537&SUBSYS_1830102B" in C:\WINDOWS\NLDRV\003\mtxparh.inf; Device: "Matrox Millennium P650"; Driver: "Matrox Millennium P650"; Provider: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Mfg: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Section name: "IN00".

#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000001 to 0x0000c001.

#I023 Actual install section: [iN00]. Rank: 0x0000c001. Effective driver date: 12/22/2005.

// * Original as provided to MS by Matrox for inclusion in DRIVER.CAB

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537&SUBSYS_1830102B" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\parhmse.inf; Device: "Matrox Millennium P650 (Microsoft Corporation)"; Driver: "Matrox Millennium P650 (Microsoft Corporation)"; Provider: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Mfg: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Section name: "IN00.ENG".

#I023 Actual install section: [iN00.ENG]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective driver date: 06/06/2003.

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\parhmse.inf; Device: "Matrox Parhelia LX (Microsoft Corporation)"; Driver: "Matrox Parhelia LX (Microsoft Corporation)"; Provider: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Mfg: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Section name: "IN00.ENG".

#I023 Actual install section: [iN00.ENG]. Rank: 0x00002001. Effective driver date: 06/06/2003.

// * Comment: I also added the above rejected Driver Package to "DRIVER.CAB", using TommyP's HFSLIP \HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB and extracted all files directly into \DRIVERCAB\

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537&SUBSYS_1830102B" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\mtxparh.inf; Device: "Matrox Millennium P650"; Driver: "Matrox Millennium P650"; Provider: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Mfg: "Matrox Graphics Inc."; Section name: "IN00".

#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000001 to 0x0000c001.

#I023 Actual install section: [iN00]. Rank: 0x0000c001. Effective driver date: 12/22/2005.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.

#I063 Selected driver installs from section [iN00.ENG] in "c:\windows\inf\parhmse.inf".

#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

#I060 Set selected driver.

#I058 Selected best compatible driver.

#-124 Doing copy-only install of "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537&SUBSYS_1830102B&REV_02\4&630BA98&0&2808".

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.

#W383 "layout.PNF" migrate: PNF Language = 0409, Thread = 0c09.

#-011 Installing section [iN00.ENG] from "c:\windows\inf\parhmse.inf".

#W383 "layout.PNF" migrate: PNF Language = 0409, Thread = 0c09.

#-340 Extracted file "MTXPARHD.dll" from cabinet "C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET1D8.tmp" (target is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MTXPARHD.dll").

#-024 Copying file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET1D8.tmp" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MTXPARHD.dll".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SET1D8.tmp" for driver "Matrox Millennium P650 (Microsoft Corporation)" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#-340 Extracted file "MTXPARHM.sys" from cabinet "C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SET1DA.tmp" (target is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\MTXPARHM.sys").

#-336 Copying file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SET1DA.tmp" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\MTXPARHM.sys" via temporary file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SET1DB.tmp".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SET1DA.tmp" for driver "Matrox Millennium P650 (Microsoft Corporation)" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.

#I056 Coinstallers registered.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.

#-011 Installing section [iN00.ENG.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\parhmse.inf".

#I054 Interfaces installed.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.

#I123 Doing full install of "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537&SUBSYS_1830102B&REV_02\4&630BA98&0&2808".

#I121 Device install of "PCI\VEN_102B&DEV_2537&SUBSYS_1830102B&REV_02\4&630BA98&0&2808" finished successfully.

I wonder (may take a bit of work to avoid errors) if I remove the supplied Matrox Driver from DRIVER.CAB, including all references to the package (wherever that may be), if then MS Setup would install the rejected Driver-package.! (I do have better things to do, so must be enjoying myself!).

If anyone can tell me why (Setup decides "Driver node not trusted,) this is happening?, I would be pleased, I don't like mysteries, except for Stephen King's kind.

(Self) Answer: to above question, (well actually more of a remedy than an answer).

Use nLite to remove all Display Drivers. I used to always do this, but got out of the habit when I started testing new Slipstreamed Source on VMWare Workstation.

22nd July, 2008

The true/correct answer is to use "WHQL" Drivers, and Setup will choose the latest Driver.

Edited by jda-au