My favorite browser is...

xper

@Drewdatrip

FYKI, Firefox is more compatible than IE. As for the few sites which seem "IE-only" it's their problem and loss, not of firefox (in any case, change firefox's browser identification string to 'Win32/IE 6' and even those sites become available).

What's more, take a few minutes to configure firefox - and enjoy more functionality and other benefits than IE.

by compatabilty i mean that every so often i will click on a link for a download and instead of opening the link for the file the page will fill with random charecters. Also every so often some of the tables and or alignment of a website will be off.

Interms of configuring what do you mean....and do you have any recomends for lessining the memory usage? Link?

|Drew|

by compatabilty i mean that every so often i will click on a link for a download and instead of opening the link for the file the page will fill with random charecters.
This is usually the server's fault. The server is supposed to supply a correct MIME type for all files it sends out. If this is not sent, most browsers will not know what kind of filetype it is. IE goes against standards, and tries to recognize file types by extension instead. IE is always the sinner.
Also every so often some of the tables and or alignment of a website will be off.

*cough* You know why? The author of the web page has most likely done something wrong. IE accepts a lot of errors silently.. sadly. Since most people use IE to see their pages when they code, many pages end up looking bad in other browsers. Since many sites are made by real n00bs, this occurs quite often. I've even seen professional companies use horrible HTML-code and CSS. Some don't even use CSS at all. Yuck.

Try to make a decent-looking page in IE with proper HTML (well, actually, preferably XHTML 1.0 Strict or XHTML 1.1) and CSS, and it'll fail. IE has a lot of CSS bugs. The most annoying one being "margins: auto;", which is intended to center stuff.. if you place a <div> tag in the <body> tag and set "margins:auto;", it's supposed to center. And does so in most browsers.. but not IE. I could mention many more IE faults, but I think it'll only bore people. Just google for it if you wonder.

I use Opera myself, 7.50, and have used Opera since version 5. It r00lz. :) I also use Mozilla and unfortunately IE when making web pages (although I hate IE, most others use it, so I gotta make my site IE compatible unless I don't feel like it) and IE for doing windows updates)

And then there's ActiveX. The worst invention since IE. Craptacular. Works only in IE, and is a highly potential security risk. I'll rather be safe (with a non-IE browser) than sorry. OK, so you can turn it off, but what does that help when most users don't know what it is, and leaves it on by default?

Well for me it used to be mozilla and now it is firefox.

Also taking a look on opera7.51 .

Now a question :

Has anyone managed to get windows update without ie?

U see ie is totally crap and the only site that is not supported by those browsers is windows update (cause activeX) . I never use ie only for update...

Opera all the way!!

Hell Yeah!!

Opera is too slow, even IE is faster.

IE sucks beacuse it's one of the slower browsers and has lots of security flaws.

Firefox is the way of the future, everyone should be using it and if you aren't then head over to http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ the newest version has a 3% speed up over the older ones.

I just recently installed Firefox and it's a nice browser... but I have two issues... Can't autocomplete and can't open my launch.com page... bummer...

Firefox can autocomplete and launch.com displays fine for me in Firefox.

Just curious... for those of you who use IExplorer, what are your reasons for continuing to use this vs. another browser? After all, almost 100% of virus/spyware is written to attack a vulnerability in IE.

what I like about opera

I usually open up billions of windows from links therefor i want them to be opened at the background. opera simple does this by clicking while holding down ctrl+shift

also I like to have 1 program and everything under that program. which i mean when u open opera all the browsing, all the windows are in the program. [...]

I love flashget and use the opera plugin for it.

any other good browser that does what I want?

Yeah, you might check out iRider. It's an IE shell (unfortunately) but I think the enhancements are worth it. The tab management is a bit different from Opera, Firefox et al. The tabs are listed in a hierarchical tree in a sidebar, nicely organized, and you can pin them so they automatically open each time you open the browser. It's really good for managing tons of pages. Take a look at the flash video on their site to see what I mean. It's not free, but IMO it's worth the shareware fee (I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer). :)