Cumulative Patch for Windows Media Player

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-032

26 June 2002 Cumulative Patch for Windows Media Player (Q320920)

Originally posted: June 26, 2002

Summary

Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Windows Media Player 6.4, 7.1 or Windows Media Player for Windows XP.

Impact of vulnerability: Three new vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could be used to run code of attacker's choice.

Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

Recommendation: Customers running affected products should apply the patch immediately.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Media Player 6.4

Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1

Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP

Technical details:

This is a cumulative patch that includes the functionality of all previously released patches for Windows Media Player 6.4, 7.1 and Windows Media Player for Windows XP. In addition, it eliminates three newly discovered vulnerabilities one of which is rated as critical severity, one of which is rated moderate severity, and the last of which is rated low severity.

Download locations for this patch

Microsoft Windows Media Player 6.4:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...wm320920_64.exe

Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...wm320920_71.exe

Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win.../wm320920_8.exe

Automatic Updates on Win2k notified me of this update before the security email went into my inbox! Looks as if Microsoft are now putting in the effort of keeping their Windows Update site with the latest patches as they come out, which they were slow to do in the past. Good thing! :)

When you update Windows Media Player don't forget this.

:):rolleyes:

"You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software protected by digital rights management ('Secure Content'), Microsoft may provide security related updates to the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your computer. These security related updates may disable your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other software on your computer. If we provide such a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a web site explaining the update."

When you use Windows update you will not see this agreement.

When you update Windows Media Player don't forget this.

:)  :rolleyes:

"You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software protected by digital rights management ('Secure Content'), Microsoft may provide security related updates to the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your computer. These security related updates may disable your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other software on your computer. If we provide such a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a web site explaining the update."

When you use Windows update you will not see this agreement.

****, i didn't notice that and went ahead and installed it

:D:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

exactly WHAT do you block though?

since installing sp1 ive had some very odd alerts in my firewall, windows kernel pings and LIS shell pings and crap, all blocked but what exactly do we need to block? i doubt its just media player!

what gets me is HOW DARE MICORSOFT INVADE YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER.

what next, if it finds a linux partition it formats it or messes with code!? because ms dont like linux.. they think its "unamerican"