missing or corrupt Hal.dll - other Ideas?

gernb

I know that this problem has been addressed...but, I believe I've tried all of the posted solutions. I'm hoping I've missed something.

My error is the "missing or corrupt Hal.dll" which halts XP load.

What caused the problem is difficult to track down...I was doing some partition manipulation tied into a Linux install and reinstall of one of my XP os's. I'm trying to clean up a mess. :rolleyes:

Here is my setup...

I have a dual boot...both XP. One copy is on c:\windows (primary hd, partition 1). The other copy is on d:\windows (second hd, partition 1).

The c: copy (labeled --> Microsoft Windows XP Professional) boots up just fine. Its the d: copy (labeled -->Server Side XP) that gives me the hal.dll error.

That suggests my boot.ini is messed up...but is it?

====================

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Server Side XP" /fastdetect

====================

I have used the install CD (option R to recover) to do all of the following:

fixmbr

fixboot

bootcfg /refresh /list /add

When using bootcfg, it seems to find that d:\windows install and adds it to boot.ini. But, when i select it on boot, it acts like it can't find it.

With my working XP running, I use run-->config to check boot.ini paths and it indicates all paths are good.

I copied hal.dl_ from the install CD and replaced the d: version. Nothing.

I did a repair install over the d: version of XP. Nothing.

My last option would be to wipe that second drive completely and do a fresh install. But, if repair didn't work I don't see why that would either (I would lose data for nothing).

The problem seems base...it seems like a boot.ini problem. I'm going mad. :)

I did run fixboot for drive D: (as logged into the ® repair option off the install CD).

But, I can't seem to run Fixmbr on anything but the C: (drive 1) drive. Can I run fixmbr for D: (drive 2)?

Thanks for reply...my first glimmer of hope. :)

Did you try this?

After you launch Recovry Console, select the OS system which is in the second physical drive(probably you will be entering "2" to do this), and enter admin password. Then execute FIXMBR.

If the above does not work, then let me ask questions as follows:

1) Are you using a third party disk utility such as Partition Magic, etc. ?

2) Is the type of the hard disks PATA(Pararrel ATA) or SATA(Serial ATA)?

3) If it is PATA, does your BIOS allow setting the boot priority of the slave hard disk higher than the master hard disk?

Kaz