BartPE to WinPE

x86

I don't mean to answer with a question but,

does anybody know how to integrate an .inf into the winpe build process?

I have converted some Bartpe infs manually but I only know how to integrate the registry build (by putting entries into the winpe inf files such as winpesys.inf used to buld HKLM\System).

What I need to know is how to integrate the file copy process. Right now i am copying the files manually.

Could you elaborate a little? I know how to use the config.inf to add to the registry. Are you suggesting to add to the extra.inf.(that may cause some problems, or result in a very long extra.inf,

Or do you think the extra.inf could be used as a pinter to other inf files somehow.

I just don't see how.

Could you elaborate a little?  I know how to use the config.inf to add to the registry. Are you suggesting to add to the extra.inf.(that may cause some problems, or result in a very long extra.inf,

Or do you think the extra.inf could be used as a pinter to other inf files somehow.

I just don't see how.

Well I wrote a program to process other inf files and build the results into extra.inf and config.inf then when you go to build the structure and the hives, everything is perfect. Other than doing it that way, i suppose you could just add all that stuff into the extra.inf manually. But, as you said... It would be huge.

As for pointing to external inf files, you can do that in config.inf for the hives.. but i dont know of a method for extra.inf

could you post it? it would be a great help. I wrote a vbs script to convert the registry part of bartpe inf files but I was unable to figure out how to integrate the sourcediskfiles sections. If I could look at how you do it... maybe I could figure out the soucedisk files conversion.

anyway I only know a little vb. if its in some other code it may take me longer to figure out how it works, but I think I can do it.

the way I use the config.inf is by making pointers to three inf files that hold the keys for hkcu, hklm/software and hklm/system. i have never used sam and security but I don't think it is any different. the registry sections get sorted and copied to the appropriate file at build time, then mkimg.cmd gets called and you know the rest. I use a batch file process to copy the files for the iso structure since I couldn't figure out how to do it through the inf process.

I use this method to keep stuff separate. like pluggins. makes it so much easier to work with programs. I imagine it must be hell to work with an iso structure directly(I got away from it quick). If something fails there is no easy way to undo the work. thats why I like my method, you just add a line to the batch file to integrate the plugin and if it works great, if it doesn't I can easily modify it or remove it.

we may be on our way to automation here :)

Sure, let me clean up the code first. btw its in vb, and i doubt you will need to change anything, because its basically a plugin tool for MS winpe.

• 5 weeks later...

I am basically making an tool to allow various types of plugins to work with winpe and bartpe, before and/or after the build process. Also this tool will allow you to build a custom winpe from your xp cd, basically like bartpe but better :)

The tool also give you the option of what software to include from the xp cd.

I'm about 90% done, i just have a few UI and registry things to add.

I've already sucessfully used bartpe plugins with winpe, built a nearly full version of xp with nothing other than my tool and a xp cd, and built a mock of bartpe.

If you have any questions, feel free to email.

@x86

That's really good news, I always struggled with BartPE to have good language support, but using WinPE, it's just adding your languahe group ID.

Is there a due date for this?

piro

Theres not really a due date set, but its only taken me a month to get from 0 to around 90% so i guess you could go off of that.

If anyone has any feature requests, let me know.