Account Conflict?

Aaron

I've had my PC in another location for a year with three other PCs belonging to my mates, all our folder shares were perfect, and could be accessed no problem.

However, I've now taken this PC home, and connected this to the network to my other home PC. On accessing shares on either machine it will either ask for a username and password to access it, or deny me access at all, it works in very strange ways.

I've come to the conclusion that it could be that I may have the same account name, and could be conflicting with each other?

Rename each local area connection to reflect the network that it connects to.

You assumption is correct. This is the same as moving a PC with a LAN previously configured for one network, yet must be renamed to work with a differen't network.

well I've adjusted the workgroup name and IP addressing, which is all thats required really when moving a PC to a different LAN. Yet there is still a conflict with the account, so I'm gonna start over again fresh with unique login names when I format both my PCs in a couple of days. (they're due for one anyway)

I assume you are using the router for the Lan sharing?

If you are, did you registered through the lan and the DHCP?

And make sure you have the firewall off for windows xp. It turned on by default everytime you setup networking. To share, both side have to disable firewall or allow access through a specific port. otherwise, it will not work.

I just use a Hub and Cat5 cable, like I did on my other LAN.

Firewall or no firewall, it still does it, Win2k machine and XP machine. But anyway, I told Kerio Firewall to assign my NIC to the trusted network so everything works flawlessly (remote control, ICS etc)

A trick I have used on an almost exact similar 'home' network is to add a user to each machine that is a duplicate of the main user on My machine. For example - my name on MY machine could be:

LS_Dragons with password 123456

Set up a user on the Win2K machine as LS_Dragons with password 123456. This user does not have to be the logged on user - but because it has credentials - and is the user that is connecting - it seems to work perfectly.

LS_Dragons

Didn't do anything.

Win2k still prompts me for username and password to access XP shares. doesn't prompt again until next reboot. Still annoying though. wish it would let me in instantly without asking for username and password.

XP can't access Win2k shares, access denied. Bah. :)

This sounds like a very odd (and annoying) problem. I am able to access each way just by double clicking the drive I want. I have the drives mapped so they show up in 'My Computer' --- have you tried that? Of course - these are all "my" systems, so I am not just trying to access 'shared folders'. I have the entire drive shared. Maybe that is why I have no issues.

LS_Dragons

I believe the root of this problem is cos of an update utility I used called Bigfix (which checks your computer for software and security updates)

There was one fixlet about Restricting Anonymous Enumeration, and suggested to change this value in the registry to 1. I allowed BigFix to make this change. And did this a couple of months ago.

This is probably why my computers on the network request a password to access shares. I'm gonna change back the number to 0, and see if it made a difference.