A working Linux on AIO Multiboot

Markymoo

Hi!

i have attached the 4320.img with the ldlinux.sys inside. just rename your isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and add the files of your isolinux dir (except boot.cat and isolinux.bin) with winimage.

you have to delete the isolinux folder of course. now the knoppix bootscreen has no change to come up.

it works great.

@Markymoo

no i dont using bcdw in root

what do you mean? you don't use bcdw at all? or you haven't the isolinux folder in root?

cu

FBi

4320.zip

i dont get the flash of knoppix screen while using bcdw,isolinux in root but i have had it while isolinux in boot folder. A bin connected graphic file is getting loaded somewhere i look into it just short of time lately.

i dont get the flash of knoppix screen while using bcdw,isolinux in root but i have had it while isolinux in boot folder. A bin connected graphic file is getting loaded somewhere i look into it just short of time lately.

you mean you have the isolinux.bin etc in root?

• 1 month later...

At the root of knoppix cd, there are on folder boot and oe folder KNOPPIX.

I must extract the folder KNOPPIx at the root of my dvd? right?

or I must extract all files of knoppix cd in one folder name KNOPPIX at the root of dvd? ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK I just went through this and have a few less hairs than I began with. But Mostly my own fault :)

you need to use the j1 switch by the looks of it.

You extract the Knoppix folder from the iso and put it at the root of your AIO dvd.

you extract the boot/isolinux folder and put that under boot on the AIO root.

you download the bcdw module from cdshell page and extract that to the AIO/boot folder

add the bcdw /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin to the cdshell.ini file and you should be good to go

HTH some people

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks!

I tried "my" way again with the Knoppix Version v3.6 (KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-DE.iso) and it works.

Just follow these steps:

-Copy the folder (cdrom:\boot\)[color="red"]ISOLINUX[/color] folder from cd to your harddisk

-[color="red"]Rename[/color] the isolinux.cfg to [color="red"]syslinux.cfg[/color] and DELETE boot.cat & isolinux.bin

-Download the attached file and unzip it, start winimage, load/open the file

-Put all files from ISOLINUX folder on your harddisk into the image file

There should be 12 files in your image: boot.msg, f2, f3, german.kbd, ldlinux.sys, linux24, linux26, logo.16, memtest, minirt24.gz, minirt26.gz, syslinux.cfg

-If that's correct SAVE the image

You have to put this image in your AIODVD folder. I have a folder called images and put there all my images (also the 4320.img) i need, and i start them via cdshell with the following line

[code]if ($lastKey == key[k]); then bcdw /images/4320.img[/code]

If there are any problems, read the above 2-3 times ;)

When there are still problems, let me know and i'll try to help you.

@Godzilla
Ich denke, das ist einfach ausgedrückt. Ich habe grade keinen Bock das zu übersetzen ;)

Dieses cdmenu.cmd habe ich noch nicht getestet.

cU
FBi

• 5 months later...
After a few hours, I finally got Knoppix v3.7 running flawlessly off of my AIO-DVD (which includes UBCD4Win v2.41, which uses Bart's PEBuilder v3.1.3). For me, it came down to one simple problem: The 'Knoppix' folder in the root of my AIO-DVD was marked as 'hidden'.

I hide the 'PRO1', 'UBCD', 'CDSH', etc, folders to make the DVD 'look' nicer (only my Setup and Software folders and a few files are normally visable). Hiding the 'Knoppix' folder causes Knoppix to give the error message:

[code]Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.[/code]

I hope this helps some of you.

For those of you new to this thread looking for a quickfix, this is what I did:
1. Download KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso from [url="http://www.knoppix.net/"]http://www.knoppix.net/[/url].
2. Open this file file in WinRAR.
3. Extract the 'boot/isolinux' and the 'KNOPPIX' folders to the root directory of your AIO-DVD.
4. Add the following line to cdshell.ini:
[code]if $lastKey == key[3]; then bcdw boot /isolinux/isolinux.bin[/code]
5. You may mark the 'boot' folder as hidden if you like.
6. Do NOT mark the 'KNOPPIX' folder as hidden.

• 1 month later...
your way works, of course. but there's the problem with the knoppix bootscreen. when you boot other tools like e.g. Partition Magic it will flash the Knoppix bootscreen and then boot to Partition Magic. it's only a cosmetic problem, but with my mentioned way it works without this flashing knoppix bootscreen. i've tested it with KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-DE.iso

it's correct that the knoppix folder must not be marked as hidden.

cu
FBi

• 1 month later...

That's great, I got my DSL to work on my Ultimate DVD, but does any one know about the new Suse Live DVD? or Lindows Live? I'm trying to get these to also work and their structure is much different.

Also does any one know how to make xp and 2000 and 2003 install from a spot other than I386? I've found several PDFs and I can't get them to work. It will eventually install but I have to tell it like 30 times during the install to look in the right directory other than I386.

• 3 months later...

could anyone please please please sum this up for me? cause i'm having some problems, i'm trying to add a Helix boot cd on to my dvd but that doesn't have all thouse boot files you guys are talking about, and unfortunaly i'm not good with linux. I'm trying to get this to work, and i've been looking through the whole page msfn.org page as well as i could, only to find nothing that can actually help me here, the system is still knoppix but only a build 2.6.10 and i can't find any way for it to boot, please help?