A working Linux on AIO Multiboot

Markymoo

I've managed to get Linux Knoppix booting off AIO. Knoppix is a bootable linux to

run off a cd. This is what i did.

Update 27 May 04

Moving the isolinux folder to your AIO boot folder causes loading of the knoppix boot screen while loading an other os. So this is now corrected. Thanks to FBi_

Instructions

Goto http://www.knoppix.org/ to get it.

Edit your iso(try winrar or ultraiso) and extract the knoppix folder to your AIO folder and then extract the isolinux folder to AIO also.

Example

C:\AIO\knoppix

C:\AIO\isolinux

No hexing of files to do...shock..gasp

All you now left to do in your menu script to run linux is the command

bcdw /isolinux/isolinux.bin

Always use bcdw not memdisk

I didnt mention the -j1 switch in cdimage but this is what i use everytime.

the necessary switches are:-

-l label "ALLWINDOWS"

-t 08/23/2001,09:00:00

-h hidden files & dirs

-j1 both joliet and iso-9660 compatible filenames together.

-b "loader.bin"

-o optimize storage

-m ignore maximum image size

I love to use cdimageGUI saves alot of time and can experiment with different options. If im experimenting with one os to get it to work i just make an AIO folder with just that os. This saves enourmous time burning the image to test instead of trying to make an iso 4gig big and finding out it dosent work. I just have boot folder files and a dat and whatever else is needed for that os so when i have got it running perfect i add it to the dvd aio folder with the rest.

Enjoy

It seems to work, but does not in my AIO : When Knoppix works, all Windows installations don't, for example XP installation fails before copying the files on the HD.

It seems to be because Knoppix requires Joliet and Win installations require strict ISO...(?)

If anybody has the final answer... Please TRY all your installers and tell us. If it works, perhaps you could provide here your CDIMAGE.EXE params and/or your AIODVD directory structure.

A short search would have given you the switch to use: it's -j1

However, I've tried to edit the createiso.cmd file from flyakite's guide/site and add the -j1 switch but then the cmd file refuses to run. Anybody know why this is?

Also, the latest version of Knoppix doesn't include the makefloppy command, and I'm unsure how to proceed.

Things I've tried: using the boot.img from an older version of Knoopix and loading from that in CDShell. The problem is that memdisk will run, but installation is halted at a boot: prompt. From there it refuses all input except "knoppix" (all other inputs return an error message to the effect that the specified kernel could not be found). With "knoppix" entered I get a few lines of a loadin sequence and then the screen goes blank and the PC hangs. Anybody have any idea how to correct this?

EDIT

Using MS Virtual Machine I've come on step further - I get the following error

knoppix.jpg

So it seems to be the filesystem after all, which brings me back to my original problem - how to make createiso work with the -j1 switch?

I can tell you that you must use the boot image (floppys) that are created with the same kernel your trying to boot.

So you cant use old floppy boot disks with a new version. :)

Also the reason they don't allow you to make a floppy boot on the new version is the image is too large to fit on a floppy disc.

You could recompile the kernel and make a foppy image use that for your aio (it still won't fit on a floppy but that doesn't matter on a cd :rolleyes: )

Right, so it's either back to Knoppix 3.2 with boot.img or Knoppix 3.4 with isolinux.bin

Either way, when trying to create the cdimage using the -j1 switch cdimage.exe refuses to run, even after removing the conflicting -n switch (run cdimage.exe from command line without options to see the helpsection). But even if it would work there are a ton of files on my DVD that have long filenames :) How to proceed?

ArmyDoc

OK, so CDIMAGE.exe won't let me create a Joliet/ISO-9660 DVD iso file. After some searching I found this site and I have been trying to do the above only now using mkisofs. I've made the following .cmd file:

DEL D:\*-JOLIET.ISO
start mkisofs -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -r -R -b \AIO-DVD\BOOT\loader.bin -allow-multidot -no-emul-boot -volid "MULTIOSDVD" -A MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -boot-load-size 4 -o "D:\multi-joliet.iso" "D:\AIO-DVD"
;start /pause cdimage.exe -lMultiOSDVD -t08/23/2001,09:00:00 -b\AIO-DVD\BOOT\loader.bin -j1 -h -o -m \AIO-DVD D:\AIO-JOLIET.iso
end

The syntax is modified somewhat from the example on the page (it -d -D switches, and no -r -R) because of two error messages. The first one about Rock Ridge file system and how they strongly advice me to incorporate it, so I have. The other problem is that I always get the same message on running my .cmd: WARNING: creating file system that does not conform to ISO-9660. mkisofs then hangs… :)

How do I solve this?

Any help appreciated

Ok first up make sure you have plenty of space on your hard drive because cdimage demands alot if the image is big. If you get hangs or cdimage quitting this is usually from not enough space.

@ArmyDoc yes cdimage will let you create an iso/joliet iso

@Phil you need to add the -j1 switch. It does work!

Here is my command line this should help

cdimage.exe -l"ALLWINDOWS" -t08/23/2001,09:00:00 -h -j1 -b"C:\AIO\BOOT\loader.bin" -o -m "C:\AIO" "C:\AIO.iso"

Failing that download cdimageGUI HERE

@Markymoo:

I know that both cdimage and mfisofs SHOULD let me create Joliet/ISO-9660 DVDs, BUT in my DVD structure I've included BartPE which uses long filenames (>110 chars). I believe that's the problem with cdimage (and what cdimageGUI so politely tells me about before quitting), and I assume that this is the same problem for mkisofs.

If anybody can tell em a way of creating BartPE with shorter filenames, or has other solutions, I'm open to suggestions

ArmyDoc

Ah well you said nothing about BartPe.

Guess what my AIO has BartPE too.

I run BartPE put every program plugin going. No problem at all

Rename the BartPe I386 folder to BART

Make a BART.DAT boot file

Hexedit BART.DAT change I386 to BART

Edit setupldr.bin in BART folder and change I386 to BART

copy winbom.ini to root

Run BART.DAT from a script

Never got the error you described as long as i use -j1

You could try a utility such as this to see which programs are using long filenames. And sacrifice the offending program.

Also check your drive for errors.

Extra long filename is supported with the ISO9660:1999 and UDF filesystems.

Check on every account... but I've named it BPE1, check attached screenshot. It's called from cdshell.ini:

boot:
menu:
menu_Key:
cls
show image mainmenu.csi
getkey
if $lastKey == key[1]; then goto Windows
if $lastKey == key[2]; then goto Utility
if $lastkey == key[3]; then goto Info
if $lastKey == key[q]; then goto end
if $lastKey == key[r]; then reboot
if $lastKey == key[h]; then goto Help
if $lastKey == key[b]; then boot 0x80

Windows:
Windows_Key:
cls
show image windows.csi
getkey 120 goto menu
if $lastKey == key[1]; then chain /PRO1.DAT
if $lastKey == key[2]; then chain /HOM1.DAT
if $lastKey == key[3]; then chain /2PRO.DAT
if $lastKey == key[4]; then memdisk /98SE.IMG
#ALs deze img niet goed werkt dan terug naar 98se.ima en pre-formatten
if $lastKey == key[x]; then chain /PRO2.DAT
goto menu

Utility:
Utility_Key:
cls
show image utility.csi
getkey 120 goto menu
if $lastKey == key[1]; then chain /BPE1.DAT
if $lastKey == key[2]; then chain /BPE2.DAT
if $lastKey == key[3]; then chain /UBCD.DAT
if $lastKey == key[4]; then memdisk /PM95.IMA
[B]#if $lastkey == key[5]; then memdisk /KNOPPIX/knoppix.img[/B]
if $lastKey == key[6]; then memdisk /622C.IMG
#Keys nog aanpassen als Knoppix eenmaal werkt...
goto menu

Info:
Info_Key:
cls
show image info.csi
getkey 120 goto menu
if $lastKey == key[1]; then goto Serie
if $lastkey == key[2]; then goto Mail
if $lastKey == key[3]; then goto Copy
goto menu

Mail:
Mail_Key:
cls
show image mail.csi
getkey
goto menu

Copy:
Copy_Key:
cls
show image copy.csi
getkey
goto menu

Serie:
Serie_Key:
cls
show image serie.csi
getkey
goto menu

Help:
Help_Key:
cls
show image help.csi
getkey
goto menu

end

Also, I've checked using the provided app, and the only files/folders over 100 chars long are the folders in BartPE, and only one is over 110 chars.

I'm about ready to give up on Knoppix unless someone has a kickass replacement for BartPE (and I don't have $200 to spend on ERD Commander, so don't bother mentoning that one :) ).

ArmyDoc

AIO_folders.zip

Ok I've narrowed it down to 1 specific folder in BartPE (see screenshot in pervious post), that ones 112 chars long and falls outside the range that a joint Joliet / ISO-9660 disc can cope with.

I've tried renaming the folder by deleting 3 chars, and also to use CDIMAGE with the -k switch but, as you can guess, then BartPE won't load anymore :rolleyes: . Knoppix does by the way :D . You win one, you lose one...

So it seems it really is either BartPE or Knoppix for me, and since my knowledge of Linux is only marginally better than that of nuclear physics :) , I guess I'm sticking to Windows and BartPE.

I'm not a star in this, but doesn't he mention in the first post :

bcdw /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin

Always use bcdw not memdisk

.... you are using memdisk..... maybe this is the problem?

I've only just perfected -ahem- my boot menu using CD Shell, which, as far as I know, only supports chain and memdisk. bcdw is, to my knowledge only usable by BCDW, not CD Shell (at least not without plugin)