Custom about:blank pages

I have Apache installed solely so I can have my own localhost page- not until now did I realize it was unnecessary. I'm not doing any PHP or MySQL stuff, so there's no reason I need it.

What I plan to do is just drop my custom homepage.htm in a directory, and set my IE homepage to that file. I liked the look of having the page set to localhost, but I don't think that's possible without Apache/IIS installed.

I noticed that in addition to about:blank, there is also about:home. about:home takes me to my localhost page. Will about:home work without Apache? Where exactly will it redirect to?

If you have any ideas or solutions, please post. The help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed that in addition to about:blank, there is also about:home. about:home takes me to my localhost page. Will about:home work without Apache? Where exactly will it redirect to?

Your homepage... :)

Mine is set to MSFN.org! :rolleyes:

Solved! :)

Here's how to make your own custom about:<name> page:

1. Create an html page and place it anywhere on your hard drive (I chose C:\Windows\Localhost)

2. Open up regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

3. Create a new string value, name it whatever you want the about:<name> to be. I named mine localhost.

4. Right click the string you created, and select Modify. Type the complete path to the webpage (i.e. C:/Windows/Localhost/index.htm)

That's it! Close the registry editor. Now all you have to do is set your homepage to about:<name> and your custom page will show up.

I'd also like to add that it is noticeably faster than Apache.

• 3 weeks later...