SP1.1060 and DOJ

xper

Well after you install SP1.1060 you can remove IE 6, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Windows Messenger etc.

I dont mind uninstalling all those programs, it's just works well.

What is your opinion on this?

i agree with AaronXP,

loads of people with PC's don't know too much about them when they first get them.

for instance,

when i first got mine i didn't know there were other email progs out there so,i used outlook.

this is a great prog,

my point.

if outlook wasn't there what would i have used?

same goes for the rest of the stuff bundled with the O\S.

as i've learned more i started to use other apps,for mail,media player and so on.

i say let the get on with it and leave them alone.

just my 2 cents.

Ahhh f*ck Micro$lut! this option should have been available since the vary start!!! Xp is an Os, it should not force you into using everything M$ nor having those things that you dont not use on your system...

This is a good thing guys!

:)

-Drew

Just an FYI --- these steps DO NOT REMOVE the applications - just the default shortcuts.  The applications - and the space they consume on your hard drive - are still there. 

LS_Dragons

yes so true,

MS does not allow you to remove these programs, jus hide the shortcuts, its all still very there. dont lemt them fool ya

Yup, as mentioned by LS_Dragons and Qba73, you can't uninstall those even if you wanted to. In effect the changes are merely cosmetic. What lies under the hood remains the same, they still take up hard disk space.

And in reply to AaronXP, well don't f*ck the DOJ. :)

They have already settled and are now chummy chummy with MS. It is the remaining 9 dissenting states plus the state of Colombia (I think) who are taking the trial further.

If the judge rules that hey, the previous settlement agreement is good enough, you dissenting guys don't make any sense, then that's about it.

But if the judge rules that the previous agreement is not good enough, then that's when the DOJ comes back into the picture, and you can f*ck them then if you want to. :rolleyes:

Microsoft claims that Messenger, etc. are so tightly integrated into the Windows environment that if they were removed the environment would become unstable. Experts, DOJ and Microsoft, agree. Microsoft consented to allow the user to remove the shortcuts using the Service Pack since the capability to remove said shortcuts was not an original capability. This also allows OEMs to configure the desktop with 3rd party application shortcuts. That hinges on revised licensing agreements between Microsoft and the OEM.

I would have to agree with both drew and AaronXP. MS is finally making good OS but in all sence by allowing people to remove it (shortcuts or not) it gives the power to the people. I think as long as MS allows this to be done by the consumer the DOJ should chill out and stop wasting my f***in tax dollars.

-XPerties

Ditto That:

I would have to agree with both drew and AaronXP. MS is finally making good OS but in all sence by allowing people to remove it (shortcuts or not) it gives the power to the people. I think as long as MS allows this to be done by the consumer the DOJ should chill out and stop wasting my f***in tax dollars.