Microsoft Walks Tall

MSNwar

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconva...ust/3497238.htm

Can someone explain to a poor bastage like me why the people think that Microsoft should give up its code or any part of it to its competitors please? Is that a fair remedy even if M$ is a monopoly? Isn't this along the same line as forcing Coca Cola to give up its recipe for its soft drinks or McDonalds to give up their recipe for the Big Mac? True enough that people will buy other soft drinks and other burgers. People will eventually buy other operating systems won't they? When people do start buying other operating systems won't that weaken The Beast From The East?

I don't know. I have always felt that if I owned and sold something that people bought and used that I have should be able to add to or take anything away from the product at my discretion. If people did not like what I added or took away then they do not have to buy my product. Bad decision on my part, but a good learning experience. Just business in the end.

Would I try to force PC manufacturers into buying my product by creating legal licenses that prohibited them from including other manufacturers software and/or hardware? Like M$, yes I would probably cross that line, until the people rose up against me and took me to court. The law claims I am a monopoly and ties my hands from dealing my own form of business practice(s) on the people for all future business transactions. Okay, fair enough. The free enterprise system got me this far and I would rely on it and my business savvy to get me back in the saddle again. So, I say I will produce a Windows that allows manufactures and software developers to add desktop icons to the desktop. I say I will not allow them to remove my own original desktop icons because the Windows environment is tightly integrated and may possibly become unstable and/or inoperable as a whole. Then where will my product be?

So the judge says tell me more about what is right and what is wrong with each sides suggested remedies? The people say Show Me The Code and M$ says Not Today or Tomorrow or Ever because I offered a new Windows that allows the people to add their own desktop stuff. And that is enough.

grrr