Diskpart problem

Guest tjabobom

Guest tjabobom

Diskpart problem with Unattended inst.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. First I want to run a diskpart script.

2. then I whant to run a Unattend script.

the unattend script tell me that it dont found a system partition!!!!

I think that I have made a mistake with my Diskpart script.

It seams not to create a system partition. But if I use PQmagic the unattended script runs just fine..

But I cant found my fault....

My diskpart script:

DISKPART /s diskpartcfg.txt

FORMAT C: /fs:ntfs /q /v:sys /y

FORMAT D: /fs:ntfs /q /v:vol1 /y

diskpartcfg.txt

select disk 0

clean

create partition primary size=12000

select partition 1

assign letter=c

active

create partition extended

create partition logical

assign letter=d

exit

The top off my unattended script:

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

the script seems to runn fine with no error, so I dont understand it!!!

I will be glad if I get some help!!!

/Per

Everything looks fine to me, I am using a similar script file (only creating a primary partition) as you do. A couple things to try are to run diskpart manually, format, then launch the script for the unattended setup with the diskpart options commented out or, try the diskpart script without the extended section and see if it works.

Mike

Guest tjabobom

Fist I want to thanks for the feedback.. I tried to run diskpart manual and with script just to create one primary parttion on the disk but the unattended script complain on that it not find a system partition...

Well then I thought reboot before, so i did restart the PC.... wolla the unattended script runs just fine....

I boot on WinPE ver 1.2... Do I really need to reboot after Diskpart???

If... how do I solve that after reboot, that the unattended script will run..

Or is the other scriptable disktools well I have used gdisk but I have some problem with my gdisk32 under winPE....

Per

Tjabobom,

I had actually forgotten about that. In the process of testing PE a while back I found that a reboot was required. This is contrary to the instructions given to me by the MS consultant who gave me PE.

What I do is boot to PE, prompt technician (using HTA) for username/password, OS, Office ver, and computername. Then I diskpart and format the hd, write the scripts to a folder on the HD and reboot. I have a line in my startnet.cmd file that will look for a particular script that will then xcopy the i386 folder to the HD and then launch setup. All in all this adds a couple minutes to the time that the tech needs to "attend" the setup. After that the scripts pickup and everything else is automated.

Mike

Hi there... I have read the posts from you and i saw another guy in the WinPE part off the forum that had a similiar prob.

I call the Winnt32.exe setup without a /noreboot switch and after the file copy phase off Winnt32.exe, the machine reboots and continues the unattended installation off the Windows....

But, after reading this and the other posts, i dont know if this is normal behavour or if I just got lucky....

Oh, and hey mbouchard... plz elaborate on your script to prevent the reboot loop off the installation as mine just went round in circles when i tried your setup technique. Must have done something wrong but I think I have all the files in tha right place..

Och du tjabom snubben... Lycka till

This is expected behavior with WinPE deployments. What you should do to eliminate the reboot after running your diskpart script is call winnt32 with the /syspart:C: parameter. This tells Windows setup to make the c: partition the system partition, which will contain ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com. You can optionally add a /tempdrive:D: parameter to actually install Windows to another partition if you so desire.

Guest tjabobom

I am back. and my problem is solved!!

I used:

.\I386\winnt32 /syspart:c /tempdrive:c

exit

I read that I have to use /tempdrive with the /syspart switch

I put an exit so I get a automatic reboot

Thanks for all help I get...................

/Per

Oh, and hey mbouchard... plz elaborate on your script to prevent the reboot loop off the installation as mine just went round in circles when i tried your setup technique.

Not sure what you mean here, was it something I posted some place else? What I do to launch it from startnet.cmd upon reboot (will need to try the /syspart:C switch) is to look for the file, i.e. continue.vbs and rename it to continue1.vbs, that way if the original file is not present it will just go on pass.

May be a dumb question, but i cant seem to find a solution here.

How can i start an XP CD Boot with the option to start diskpart?

I made several Boot CDs but dont have any idea to do a CD Boot where i can start a batch file with the diskpart command.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear ppl , I have a Question about this topic, I want to make 8 partitions on my HHD, how's the script would be ???? 2nd

the script would be something like this :

DISKPART /s diskpartcfg.txt

FORMAT C: /fs:ntfs /q /v:sys /y

FORMAT D: /fs:ntfs /q /v:vol1 /y

right where to put this script ??? do I put it in main_batch.cmd ??or winnt.bat or winnt.sif????????

3rd the diskpartcfg.txt would be like this right

where to put this diskpartcfg.txt on the CD ????

select disk 0

clean

create partition primary size=12000

select partition 1

assign letter=c

active

create partition extended

create partition logical

assign letter=d

exit

Thank you all

Yazan