Monitor installation

I have the .inf file for my Sony Multiscan 210ES monitor but after an unattended installation the monitor is still a plug and play monitor :) Please could somebody out there tell me how I get the monitor recognised? :rolleyes:

Well, I'm glad I wasted half a day downloading drivers for 10 different manufacturers and extracting them all :). On a side note, it really irks me when a bunch of manufacturers make separate zip files for all their monitors rather than one large zip file with all of them included.

I'm having the same problem with my xp unattended installation. Is there no way to tell the unattended file to install the plug n play monitor automatically? I mean, if not, so much for the 'unattended' part :)

my computer auto installs my monitor as a "Plug and Play". But I believe the reason the drivers don't install if because of Driver Signing. Most monitor drivers aren't signed. So when Windows looks for a driver, the "Plug and Play" one ends up with a higher score then the real driver, so it gets used.

How did you get your monitor to auto install? For driver signing, do you mean

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore ? That's what I have under [unattended]

Also, does anyone know what folder the pnp monitor drivers are located in windows xp? I want to try putting all those drivers in the oem folder and tell the answerfile to refer to them under OemPnPDriversPath and see if that works.

I'm still learning how to perform an unattended installation correctly.

thanks

I should have made it clearer that I have the path to the .INF file for my monitor defined in winnt.sif but doing this now causes the installation to stop with a dialog box asking me for the path to the monitor driver. Even if I enter the path to the Sony .INF file the monitor is still installed has a plug and play monitor! :)

I know it doesn't make the world of difference to the final installation but has I have a driver for the Sony monitor I just wanted to have it installed automatically.

I made a directory in $OEM$\DRIVERS\ called CRT (name it anything you want) and placed the drivers for my monitor in that directory, INF & CAT file. Add the $OEM$\DRIVERS\CRT path to your WINNT.SIF, OemPnPDriversPath=DRIVERS\CRT

works for me

You can force the installation using devcon, making sure that DEVCON is in your windows32 directory first:

I run this in my cleanup batch file whcih runs after the runonce batch file:

"devcon update "c:\program files\sony\sonylcd.inf" "Monitor\SNY0280""

Works every time.

You can force the installation using devcon, making sure that DEVCON is in your windows32 directory first:

I run this in my cleanup batch file whcih runs after the runonce batch file:

"devcon update "c:\program files\sony\sonylcd.inf" "Monitor\SNY0280""

Works every time.

Good if you're only installing on one computer. Bad if you want a generic CD you could use on any computer.

I edited monitor.inf in I386 and commented out the line:

%*PNP09FF.DeviceDesc%=VESADDC.Install,*PNP09FF

then added my monitor driver via OemPnPDriversPath.

This way drivers are installed whether signed or not.

So basically you're overridding it's detection mechanism and forcing it to install the driver for that monitor (which you know to be correct in that circumstance). However, you still run into the aformentioned issue if you install XP on another computer with a different monitor because it's going to install that monitor on their computer as well and could potentially end up putting invalid displays settings on their computer.