Unattended Linux Installation?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum or maybe even website...

Has anyone experimented with an unattended Linux installation?

I mean it boots, automatically has all of your settings and a custom kernel, newest KDE, Gnome, GIMP, the works.

Anyone ever given it any thought?

I think it would be cool to have a multiboot DVD with unattended XP, unattended Linux, Windows PE and Knoppix, buts that's for another thread all together...

-Matt

in the last week i've installed both redhat9 and mandrake10...

i can't remember which one it was (sorry) but one of them asked me if i wanted to create an "install set" or similar named unattended install based on all the options and packages i had chosen during the install procedure...

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum or maybe even website...

Has anyone experimented with an unattended Linux installation?

I mean it boots, automatically has all of your settings and a custom kernel, newest KDE, Gnome, GIMP, the works.

Anyone ever given it any thought?

I think it would be cool to have a multiboot DVD with unattended XP, unattended Linux, Windows PE and Knoppix, buts that's for another thread all together...

-Matt

I'd like to see a guide or at least some ideas on this same issue. Anyone?

If you're thinking of a RedHat-based distribution (Fedora, Mandrake, Trustix, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - there's a LOT of them), then you should start looking at the scripts for anaconda - their installer.

I'm sure there is a way to specify what things you want installed manually. It WILL, however, need you to make your own iso - pretty much your own distribution.

Personally, I'd rather reinstall linux manually, it's easier to figure out exactly what you need for each comp, rather than making specific installation discs. I don't want a bunch of DVD's for different comps, I'd prefer just the one. But hey, each to their own.

Look up anaconda.

If you're thinking of a RedHat-based distribution (Fedora, Mandrake, Trustix, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. - there's a LOT of them), then you should start looking at the scripts for anaconda - their installer.

I'm sure there is a way to specify what things you want installed manually. It WILL, however, need you to make your own iso - pretty much your own distribution.

Personally, I'd rather reinstall linux manually, it's easier to figure out exactly what you need for each comp, rather  than making specific installation discs. I don't want a bunch of DVD's for different comps, I'd prefer just the one. But hey, each to their own.

Look up anaconda.

Actually I'm not so much worried about an automated install for linux. I"m more wondering how I would add say a Redhat distribution to my multi-boot dvd rom so that its also an option to install....

u would have to convert the boot sector of the linux cd to a .IMG file and have cdshell load that image file... you would more than likely have to hex-edit it to change the path it's looking for the install files in unless you copied the directory sturcture onto your dvd... that should work..