WINDOWS XP SP1 Contains SPYWARE

Big Booger

Windows XP sp1ers have found a registry key setup by the program "alexa", a subsiduary of amazon (see link below). On the top link, we can see that alexa has been found to send detailed information about users to its servers, which im sure not only breaks microsofts privacy statement, but also breaks laws. My source says that the popular anti-spyware program Adaware detects elements of the installation as adware, and this registry key confirms it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003}

The issue is the 'related links' feature of IE which appears as the 'Tools'/'Show Related Links' menu item, and a corresponding toolbar button if you added it (from the 'Customize...' link on the toolbar).Use that feature and IE will contact the Alexa servers to obtain information about other web pages which might be, er, related. Go check the Alexa web site to see if you think that is a good idea (and, just to be clear, I think it's a truly sucky idea). Or just to double-check that you haven't deliberately or unintentionally installed some of their software, or you've forgotten that you've done so. But if you don't use that menu or button, Alexa will not hear from you. No spying will take place. You may sleep soundly.

READ MORE ABOUT ALEXA

ALEXA's HOMEPAGE

ALEXA AND IE5 combination

DETAILED ADAWARE INFORMATION

News source: neowin.net

Enjoy,

BB

glad I didnt install it..