Where to begin ?

You have to replace the PnPIDs as well.

There should be a txtsetup.oem file with the VIA drivers. Maybe not in the winxp directory, most likely one directory up. Open it, and copy the lines for the XP drivers that start with PCI\VEN into the HardwareIDsDatabase.

Thanks for the help.

I feel i'm getting somewhere now.

This is from the TXTsetup.oem

[HardwareIds.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_2003IA32]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_XP]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_2K]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_XP]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"

Now i am a little confused by the ends of the lines (as i can see other OS's) ie [HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K] is that windows 2000?

would i be correct in saying i should only use the ones with XP above?

like this

[sourceDisksFiles]viasraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"
[sCSI.load]viasraid = viasraid.sys,4
[sCSI]viasraid = "Via SATARaid Controller"

and just incase i have this totally wrong here's the full txtsetup.oem

## format for txtsetup.oem.## General format:## [section]# key = value1,value2,...### The hash ('#') introduces a comment.# Strings with embedded spaces, commas, or hashes should be double-quoted#
# This section lists all disks in the disk set.## <description> is a descriptive name for a disk, used when#   prompting for the disk# <tagfile> is a file whose presence allows setup to recognize#   that the disk is inserted.# <directory> is where the files are located on the disk.#
[Disks]
d1 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \VT6420, \PIDE\winxpd2 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \VT6420, \PIDE\win2000d3 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \VT6420, \PIDE\winnt40d4 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT6420, \SATA\winxpd5 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT6420, \SATA\win2000d6 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT6420, \SATA\winnt40d7 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller Driver", \VT6420, \PIDE\2003ia32d8 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT6420, \SATA\2003ia32
# This section lists the default selection for each 'required'# hardware component.  If a line is not present for a component,# the default defaults to the first item in the [<component_name>]# section (see below).## <component_name> is one of computer, display, keyboard, mouse, scsi# <id> is a unique <within the component> string to be associated#   with an option.
[Defaults]
scsi = VIARAID_VT3149_XP

# This section lists the options available for a particular component.## <id> is the unique string for the option# <description> is a text string, presented to the user in a menu# <key_name> gives the name of the key to be created for the component in#   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Services
[scsi]VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2003 IA32)",VT6420VIARAID_VT3149_XP = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows XP)",VT6420VIARAID_VT3149_2K = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)",VT6420VIARAID_VT3149_NT = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)",VT6420
VIAPDSK_VT4149_2003IA32 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows 2003IA32)",VT6420VIAPDSK_VT4149_XP = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows XP)",VT6420VIAPDSK_VT4149_2K = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows 2000)",VT6420VIAPDSK_VT4149_NT = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows NT4)",VT6420
# This section lists the files that should be copied if the user# selects a particular component option.## <file_type> is one of driver, port, class, dll, hal, inf, or detect.#   See below.# <source_disk> identifies where the file is to be copied from, and must#   match en entry in the [Disks] section.# <filename> is the name of the file. This will be appended to the#   directory specified for the disk in the [Disks] section to form the#   full path of the file on the disk.#=======================================#[Files.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_2003IA32]driver = d7, viapdsk.sys, viapdskinf = d7, viapide.inf## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed driver#catalog = d7, viapdsk.cat
[Files.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_XP]driver = d1, viapdsk.sys, viapdsk#dll = d1, setupvia.dllinf = d1, viapide.inf## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed driver#catalog = d1, viapdsk.cat
[Files.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_2K]driver = d2, viapdsk.sys, viapdsk#dll = d2, setupvia.dllinf = d2, viapide.inf## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed driver#catalog = d2, viapdsk.cat
[Files.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_NT]driver = d3, viapdsk.sys, viapdskinf = d3, viapide.inf
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_2003IA32]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_XP]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIAPDSK_VT4149_2K]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149","viapdsk"
#=======================================#
[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32]driver = d8, viasraid.sys, viasraidinf = d8, viasraid.inf## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed drivercatalog = d8, viasraid.cat
[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_XP]driver = d4, viasraid.sys, viasraid#dll = d4, setupvia.dllinf = d4, viasraid.inf## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed drivercatalog = d4, viasraid.cat
[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]driver = d5, viasraid.sys, viasraid#dll = d5, setupvia.dllinf = d5, viasraid.inf## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed drivercatalog = d5, viasraid.cat
[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_NT]driver = d6, viasraid.sys, viasraidinf = d6, viasraid.inf
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_XP]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"
[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"

# This section specifies values to be set in the registry for# particular component options.  Required values in the services\xxx# key are created automatically -- use this section to specify additional# keys to be created in services\xxx and values in services\xxx and# services\xxx\yyy.## <key_name> is relative to the services node for this device.#   If it is empty, then it refers to the services node.#   If specified, the key is created first.# <value_name> specifies the value to be set within the key# <value_type> is a string like REG_DWORD.  See below.# <value> specifies the actual value; its format depends on <value_type>
[Config.VT6420]
value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1#HP-Delete following line#value = "Parameters\PnpInterface", 5, REG_DWORD, 1

thanks

[sourceDisksFiles]

viasraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

viapdsk.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149" = "viapdsk"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149" = "viasraid"

[sCSI.load]

viasraid = viasraid.sys,4

viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4

[sCSI]

viasraid = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller"

viasraid = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

]/Code]

More like that. VIAPDISK is the ATA controller on the mobo, and VIASRAID is the SATA.

Ok done that

got this error straight away when i tried to boot from cdrom

Line 21764 of the INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid setup cannot continue.

this is the steps i took

(1) Moved the driver files :-

viasraid.cat

VIASRAID.INF

viasraid.sys

to

C:\XPCD\$oem$\$1\Drivers\SATA

(2) Added this to the winnt.sif

[Unattended]
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\SATA\VIASRAID"

(3) Added this to the txtsetup.sif

[SourceDisksFiles]
viapdsk.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149" = "viapdsk"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149" = "viasraid"

[SCSI.load]
viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4

[SCSI]
viasraid = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

(4) Created the viasraid.SY_ file using

MAKECAB c:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\SATA\viasraid.sys c:\done\viasraid.SY_

then moved the viasraid.SY_ to the i386 folder

ideas?

Cheers

i think it's nearly done :)

new error ..

viapdsk.sys could not be found

would i be correct in saying i put them in the drivers folder?

or

should i do this

MAKECAB C:\XPCD\$oem$\$1\Drivers\SATA\viapdsk.sys c:\done\viapdsk.SY_

then move to i386?

i think i'm actaully learning now :rolleyes:

what is viapdsk?

i don't have that in mine to enable via sata raid to work...

here's a quick instruction for via sata raid:

1) edit txtsetup.sif, copy this and paste it at the bottom of your file (but not after the EOF little box looking character)

[SourceDisksFiles]

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "viasraid"

[SCSI.load]

[SCSI]

2) MAKECAB viasraid.sys viasraid.sy_

copy the viasraid.sy_ file to your I386 folder

3) Copy the folder containing viasraid.sys off the floppy disk into $OEM$\$1\Drivers\Viasraid, it should have some other files too (same process as Silicon Image driver)

4) edit winnt.sif to have "Drivers\3112;Drivers\Viasraid" (assuming you have both 3112 and via raid drivers on the one disk)

this works for me and I have tested with ABIT KV7 and ABIT KV8 series of mainboards

IT WORKS** :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Altho i do get 1 small error

Setup cannot find the file MONITOR7.IN_

I have tested it twice and confirmed the file is on the cd ( I386\MONITOR7.IN_ )

could this be a CRC (yes i'm learning the technical phrases now)

Also on a second note could I use Via Raid and Silicon (nforce2) on the same cd?

Would i have to select which on manually to install or would XP find the correct one?

Actually i have soo many questions i'll write a list :)

you can add as many drivers as you want. Make sure the PnPIDs are differnt. Windows will only use the ones that are neccesary adn they won't conflict with eachother.

As for Monitor7.inf, check both TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF to make sure its listed in them BOTH. If not, there's your problem. It's probally an error in DOSNET.INF.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems what you need isn't an unattended XP cd, You'ld be better of with cloning/backup software such as norton ghost or Powerquest deploycentre.

Norton ghost or Powerquest will take up about 15 minutes to restore your entire windows installation including additional software like office, games and other 3rd company apps (provided you have a extra partition with enough space).

Unattended xp cd is a great concept, but I believe clone/backup software is a better alternative to suit your situation.

regards......