nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

well i have now used this and compiled an iso and got it installed through virtual pc. i was lucky and didnt have any missing file errors. after it said it was adjusting the video on the first load if windows it seemed to lock so i rebooted the virtual pc and it loaded fine after that. now with IE not installed theres no browser to go to mozilla.org so i download it in my host OS and then try to transfer over the network and well there comes my problem. i can browse the network but i cant copy files over the network and i have tried it from the guest os and the host os and nothing will copy. says the network share is no longer available or gives the generic file cant copy for some odd reason error. i like how small i got the install down to (440 megs minus the page file) but if it cant copy anything over the network its kinda pointless. so how can i fix this ya think? i have made a quick 2 second webpage of screenshots that i took to show someone else the program and that has all the things ive checked to remove so if you could take a look here its be great.

http://nx.home.comcast.net/nLiteXP.htm

edit: added some more periods to break it up for the grammar nazi :)

,,,, ..... III ''' ABCDEFGHI ...

Here, I think you forgot some of the above!

Maybe it's just my eyes, but I could not make heads or tails out of a run-on post like that. Don't mean to be a dick about it ... but if you are looking for help or an answer, it really is easier if the post is legible ...

I still think even after the edit John0877 still doesn't make much sense. All I got was that he has bad grammar and can't copy something over a network. He didn't say what was removed besides IE or post any log or INI file as supplement.

I still think even after the edit John0877 still doesn't make much sense. All I got was that he has bad grammar and can't copy something over a network. He didn't say what was removed besides IE or post any log or INI file as supplement.

ok well my typing is casual so i dont usually puncuate too much or capitalize. i have posted a site with screenshots of all the check boxes that are checked in the program to make the iso i have ended up with. so thats like my log

Great to see things improving steadily - I tried a new 0.94 modified installation last night (I had previously used numerous versions a few times in VirtualPC and once or twice on my 'real' system), and was amazed at just how quickly XP installed - the '15 minutes remaining' bar sped through in a matter of seconds!

I would recommend adding a little more information to the 'Notes' section of this thread: chiefly, that removing 'Internet Explorer' will also prevent 'Quick Launch' functionality and the ability to right-click items on a (Classic) Start Menu. I'm curious as to whether it'll be possible for such functionality to remain whilst still removing the bulk of the IE core...here's hoping :)

Furthermore, does anyone have any information as to which components/services are required for 'Prefetch' functionality (and Bootvis.exe)? I gather 'defrag' and 'Scheduled Tasks' are used, however cannot pinpoint which components break this when removed using nLite. Is 'Scheduled Tasks' an experimental option?

That's all for now - once again, great work nuhi - I'm looking forward to the next update!

Take it easy,

James

... edit: added some more periods to break it up for the grammar nazi  :rolleyes:

Cute :) Here are some more in case you want to use them, too! You can also make copies!

(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ)

(Bet'cha get loads of help like that ... )

Perhaps Alanoll or xper could activate the "Fast Response" option for this forum?

@nuhi: See what you've done? Now you've been banished over here with the wild ones. You there Wraith? Good luck, and keep up the good work!

I am not able to install this installer.plz help me .

It gives these errors at the time of Extraction of exe

Cannot create Data\bootsector.bin:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Cannot create Data\sfc_os.dl_:Zone.Identifier

Some files could not be created.

Please close all applications, reboot Windows and restart this installation

I've tried all these steps but all in vain!

Note: I 've downloaded the installer several times but the result is same.

Exact same situation here... Can someone help?

@John0877, try without selecting QoS, experimental options and Optional Net Components.

And if you get that kind of network problem only in virtual machines, nothing to worry about, it's not easy to setup them to work properly with the "real world".

p.s. next time it's enough to provide selected.ini content instead of screenshots, easier for you.

@jmbattle, notes and bugs will grow, don't worry :D

About missing files...learn how to use nlite.log...just find the file and see what section it was.

'Scheduled Tasks' i tried to remove long time ago and it was ie disaster...but now i have more experience, it may be doable.

@xper, thanx for the forum subsection, now i can stretch my legs and post new topic for every new version (so that we don't get bloated like in this one).

@GreenMachine, howdy neighbor :)

@bonedaddy, thanx for your support, there is a link in Threads of interest, and we can try to make these topics most active every day, so it's kinda like sticky :rolleyes:

edit: @Nikser, besides reinstalling your windows contact me on email and i'll send you uncompressed files until i revise the installer (if i can call it that).

@John0877, try without selecting QoS, experimental options and Optional Net Components.

And if you get that kind of network problem only in virtual machines, nothing to worry about, it's not easy to setup them to work properly with the "real world".

p.s. next time it's enough to provide selected.ini content instead of screenshots, easier for you.

that was already done for another purpose so i just used them for this issue here too. thanks will try that later today

I have an odd problem with NOD32 AV. Everytime I attempt to install it I lose all connectivity the internet with everything. As soon as I uninstall it everything is back. Is anyone else using it and have you run into the same problem? I am using pretty much the recommended settings.

Thanks

@ MSFN

I did see it there, the point is, why is it not

listed as a sticky? Can you answer that please?

I believe it's the fastest growing topic ever here

or at least in a long time.

thank you

bonedaddy

sticky where? I could easily make it a sticky in the nLite forum, but I beleive nuhi might have that power now.

If you wanted a sticky in the Unattended forum, won't happen. Neither XPCREATE nor XPlode/XPInstall got that treatment before beign banished.

@nuhi

now for the real reason for moving you. I was getting jealous that you answering faster then me, so you got moved to the back corner so no one would see you. :) jk. Good job on getting your own forum, and webpage.

I believe this isn't nearly as bloated as the old XPCREATE or XPINSTALL threads yet. lol. My browser says you're only on page 22. Tisk tisk, just a few more and you might make it to the "Improved" XPCREATE thread. Not the old XPCREATE thread but the Improved one. lol.

You even made it over to Neow1n.