nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

@tk_9630

that's just why I don't remove that option :). You'll have to boot from hdd after the text setup has completed. The only "workaround" I see is take out your cd while your pc boots after setup has copied the files (the 2nd boot).

Batch files are one of the best things ever created.

i agree they are, when i first started my unattended cd, i had very little batch file knowledge (as i prefered doing everything GUI based)

i now feel i have a good grasp on batch files :) they are quite useful

I just noticed something about 9.4

I'm guessing this is intentional but when you remove internet explorer it removes its core too. I myself dont have any need for the internet explorer folder and it's content but i like to use internet explorer in windows explorer to access sites such as windowsupdate which is possible without the internet explorer folder.

So i was wondering if you can add an sub-option to internet explorer to remove the core of ie. I'm guessing alot of people would still like to be able to visit windowsupdate when they use another main browser like firefox and have no need for the internet explorer folder.

@LeoKesler, going to see that, can't wait to fix srestore bug, it bugs me

@]Bonkers[, i'll test later your selection, it seems that slightly your windows core files are different but we'll fix it eventually

@DarkPhoenix, too bad it's still not working for you, have patience, try next version some day, there is much to change so it may get fixed in the process

About color stuff...good point, i'll change it.

Presets are meant to hang like that, i like it.

@bOrG, ok, calc and paint...but who will want to remove calc, am i the only one thinking that's the best thing in windows, that and the blank screen saver :)

(just kidding, i love winxp, just for the record)

About dhcp problem, try not to select any Service and Experimental until it's pinned down.

@MCT, one windows image viewer coming right up.

Uxtheme warning is under Notes for days now, people just don't read that stuff.

Estimated space, it's great feature, will be there, but in general i always put gui stuff last...when we could manage with batches, we can manage with crappy gui, can't we :rolleyes:

@hoTy3k, images option deleted the avatars, i hate that too, going to correct it

Descriptions are made in a hury, but i'll fix that one first :D

@cb3dsl, thanx, i'll see what i can do

@tk_9630, i now what you mean, it's not bug, it's just that option is for people who make their own boot menus.

All you need to do is copy bootfix.bin file from full windows to nlited i386 folder, make iso with "make iso" from Options menu (because you don't need reduction again) and the press... will be back.

About batches...i used them, and they work perfectly, jdeboeck did a great job, you may not beleive me but it's tougher to make it without specialized program language (when you get the hang of it).

@anon, thanx...more safe...lol...good one

@Unaimed, yes, and Milgathia wanted that, so you'll have it

For indexing service removal, Datalore gave a good explanation.

@Borg and nuhi:

@bOrG, ok, calc and paint...but who will want to remove calc, am i the only one thinking that's the best thing in windows, that and the blank screen saver
and I said
Also, I have two shortcuts in my accessories, calculator and character map. They aren't linking to anything because I guess I removed the file, but the icons are left over.

In my install, calc and paint were removed. Just thought I would point that out incase you missed it.

]Bonkers[

@]Bonkers[, i tried your setup and for me there is no such icons and Luna is there...that means there is some incompatibility.

Exactly what Windows version do you have...language...oem, retail...

@bOrG, we'll see about that. For now i'm adapting nLite to Win2k and there is much errors, so when i fix them it may fix your network problem.

Until then you may be helpful if you find what exact component is causing the problem. Just put it on Virtual test few times...try removing few components from your selection until it works, then just report here which one(s) was it.

@nuhi

How do you disable SFC? Do you have a precracked one and you hex in program or what?

I would think you'd want to use the SFC file from the version they're using (SP1 or SP2 or RTM) to crack it, so they don't end up with files that are form another version. Just a thought.

What you could do to clear up the whole mess, would just to put hooks in the program. Have the people get the files themselves. The hook would detect that the file is there, and enable the checkbox, otherwise it's just barren (nonselectable). Same goes for UXTheme.dll. They supply the file, you're program just adds it. BUT i can't stress the point, ONLY these two files. Otherwise people will be like, can you add an option for adding (insert thing).

@Alanoll, sfc is disabled by a precracked one, it's working on all tested versions (never had a reported problem concerning it).

Tested it myself on all versions...it has the needed start of a file to seem disabled (as i answered before few posts back), rest of a file isn't important because it never gets called.

I agree that more sleak solution will be to generically hack it but that's to much work for something that will work the same. (some day, will do)

If i understood you correctly you mean to put detection of already removed (or non-existant) components...well i'm working on it...it's allready in 0.94 one fifth autodetectable (javavm for example).

Uxtheme insertion...going to think about that how to implement it.

@]Bonkers[, i tried your setup and for me there is no such icons and Luna is there...that means there is some incompatibility.

Exactly what Windows version do you have...language...oem, retail...

I am using an English version of Windows XP SP1 Corporate edition. I haven't had a problem normally with unattended stuff. Is there something specific you want me to do while I am testing?

]Bonkers[

Installed and ran and just get:

Application popup: nlite.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

So restarted and same error. BTW have .net 1.1 installed.