nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

Suggestion for the GUI of nLite

Adding "Estimated Space Reduced" and/or When u select an item it shows how much space will be gained when that object is removed

just thought it would be neat :rolleyes:

Regards

:)

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

First I'd like to compliment you on this wonderful program :)

At the moment I'm installing the Dutch version of Windows XP Professional SP1, I haven't slimpstreamed SP2. This CD originally came with SP1. Everything seems to be going OK :rolleyes:

But I'm wondering if there is a way to slipstream any driver I want, the newest DirectX, windows updates (hotfixes) etc.? That would be great. That way when you have to re-install windows you can just make a new CD without all rubbish but including every new driver and hotfix :D

OK, setup is complete. I notice my mouse is recognized as PS/2, while it is a USB mouse. Is this Virtual PC's fault? Also it isn't as fast as my normal Windows, but that's because of the Virtual PC right?

Anywayz this is a fine product!

@gekkehenkie

yes, vmware/virtual PC wont be as fast as regular windows, cuz its basically, a computer inside a computer , virtualpc & vmware use "fake hardware" not alot of your hardware is recognised correctly (atleast mine isnt :))

as for slipstreaming, search the unattended forums, there are plenty of posts on your concerns

superb work! far better than any manual horrible batch files that dont work.

one thing, and i applogise if its been brought up before.

the "remove "press any key to boot from cd.." " option while useful caused me to have a looping installation, and theres no way to undo this option i can think of. workaround anyone? or do i start again

keep up excellent work nuhi

@MCT

I already suggested the space saved thing. The answer was. It is difficult to estimate because of things being packed in the cab files.

@TK_9630

I removed it and I do not get this error. I have also not herd of anyone else getting this error

I think there is a bug with the indexing service. I checked it for removal but it's still there. Well it's not in the list of services.msc, but when I view the properties of my harddrive (C: i mean), the option to index is still available and works.

PS. I'm confused with all the slipstreaming. Most sticky topics require basic knowledge of slipstreaming to comprehend. Can someone please give me a link to or tell me the basics of slipstreaming and making registry tweaks. I would appreciate it very much.

i dont recall that being brought up in previous posts, good spot tho if it is a bug ( i havent tried that option)

i should explain more fully, with a fully unattended autoformatting install, after the initial booting from cd and setup the PC reboots to continue installation, and MUST boot from the hdd, with the option left as default (off) theres no problem but if the option is checked and the "press any key to boot from cd" is removed, the system continues to boot from cd and format untill the cd is taken out and put back in.

hope that kinda makes sense, its a good option im sure just i dont know a way to undo the option. have recopied new files and run the wizard again, so i dont have a problem anymore. :)

I think there is a bug with the indexing service. I checked it for removal but it's still there. Well it's not in the list of services.msc, but when I view the properties of my harddrive (C: i mean), the option to index is still available and works.

Getting rid of "Allow Indexing service to ..." would involve editing shell files, which goes beyond the scope of nLite. Windows was not designed to have that service removed, which is why it sticks around even after you remove it. :)

@GekkeHenkie

Indexing service > i too have that, i dunno if its a windows bug or with nlite, this program is still in its early stages, so give it time if it is a nlite bug

> slipstreaming a service pack, rewrites original windows files with newer ones from a service pack (containing fixes and whatnot) and it installs newer stuff

registry tweaks can be exported from the regitry 2 a .reg file or u can make your own, using a txt editor and renaming the file .reg a reg file looks like this

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]"MenuShowDelay"="18"

that will make menus appear quicker

save that into a reg file as explained above, double click it 2 install it in the registry

hope this clarifies some :)

anyone look on the front page today?

superb work! far better than any manual horrible batch files that dont work.

I have no idea what is wrong with you. If you refer to jdoebeck's batches, they work. You just have to know how to use them. As for "horrible batch files", you deserve to be shot. Batch files are one of the best things ever created.