nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

@MCT, if you remove all drivers (like i do always) then for every component which you remove windows drivers you need to have your own, no matter what pc.

Meaning if you remove display driver then it won't recognize your video card until you install your drivers. But crucial elements like motherboard drivers and stuff needed to run windows are never removed.

And what about that theme...i get things like that with some themes...not only in nlite, everywhere...am i doing something wrong...maybe bigger button will help ?

@MORGiON, welcome to the forum and thanx

@LeoKesler, setuperr.log has those entries because i cannot change syssetup.inf which calls all those files...but don't worry, thats just things you selected to remove.

@bOrG, my guess is that you are testing ipconfig in virtual machine ?

About zip folders...yes it will be removed, good one

@Alanoll, woow..autoupdate you say...finally some progress on hotfix mania...thanx!

@Jazz

I have three updates that show up on my test system.

826939 (Rollup)

I know what causes the Rollup. It's removing Automatic Updates, though maybe not the only one.

I'm not sure of the others.

I didn't remove autoupdate and still have KB826939 Rollup as missing on windowsupdates. Also have KB835732 as missing.

828026 doesn't show up as missing for me, but maybe you removed media player.

Still getting missing IE/OE shortcuts....gonna try 9.3 and just select recommended from the drop down and see what happens with that ISO.

@Milgathia, yes...i just fixed that...few more mbs removed but now you won't be able to run mmc snapins, they report that at least ie 5.5 is needed...but that's what you want....remove ie completely

Just one problem, debugging it now, i lost |file|edit|.. toolbar in normal explorer if ie is removed :)

edit: @Nemesis300, be shure to test it on clean installation, then if everything is ok test away.

Very strange...Just now tried to install w/ my Nlited XP Pro/SP1 disc.

It booted fine, looked over my hardware, but then asked me for my XP Professional Sevice Pack 1 CD !! wtf? I have follwed nuhi's instructions to the letter, and my version of XP Pro dfinitey has had SP1 slipped properly into it, as I've used the disc for two years almost to re-install with.

What am I missing here?

My disk has:

Data folder

I386 folder

nlite.exe

nlite.log

selected.ini

the htnl support thing

WIN51IP file

:)

@Nemesis300, yes...i mean if you have problems try without xpcreate and tell me did that fixed it...if it did i need to fix that, nlite must be compatible with xpcreate because many of you are using it.

@CBC, where is your "win51ip.sp1" file ?

And try not to run nLite from cd root...install it somewhere else...program files\nlite for example.

I have short build an iso with nlite9.3. Can't say how good it work's, but it's the first time that i realise that clicking on top on 'About', 'Start', 'Components'and so on is possible while the build-process of the ISO is running. Could be that i am blind or sleeping with open eyes but this is really a nice feature. I like that.

Cool nuhi :-)

@nuhi

mh, completely removing ie so really can create problems seems... under all the aspects...

So what about to make an option to partially remove ie and completely eradicate it?

Afterall the actual uninstallation allow to install office2003 and everything works, even windows update (copying the iexplorer.exe and launching it from ie menu).

Another thing I really would like to see is the directx component for uninstallation. :)

Kind Regards

@Nemesis300, yes...i mean if you have problems try without xpcreate and tell me did that fixed it...if it did i need to fix that, nlite must be compatible with xpcreate because many of you are using it.

haha, compatible?

I know the rollup comes back if you remove certain components. Same with 828026.

WU update check for the files that are updated by the Rollup. Since it include many updates, it checks all those, and if one is missing, it lists the Rollup as the update to apply as it is the most recent.

These are the ones I know will make the Rollup appear again.

Automatic Updates

System Restore

MS Agent

Suspected:

Files and Settings Wizard

Indexing Service

@ZuluDC, i think it could even provide last moment changes

@Milgathia, i'll see about ie, maybe leaving few reg entries.

Dx, it's half done, wasn't a priority because it's needed in most pcs but one day it will be gone too.

@Alanoll,

haha, compatible?

:) well, yes...GreenMachine warned me that i need to be careful with some txtsetup entries xpcreate generates...if removed there could be a problem.

oh it's not just the entries. If you factor in the hotfixs and they're files....and how WU checks, you'll run into some trouble. I'd suggest finding out which components CAUSE the problem, and don't worry about fixing it. In under 2 months, it's going to be a mute point anywayz.