nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

I agree with CBC and MTC, because this was the reason for the mistake i postet before. I just thought "creating an iso" would be the last step (logical it is) and so i did not use the reduce option given at the end. Expecting a great reduction of my Xp Files, i was wondering, that the Image still had 512 MB :)

1 More Problem is, that there is no hint, that reducing the files is a seperate function. I just thought it is automatically done when creating the iso.

I did not expect to find that option under "custom file List". I thought, this is just possibility to choose some extra files beeing removed, the programm does not offer.

nLite image file doesn't seem to use compression when making the iso file. When I make an image file for office 2003 its about 1.3 GB but when I run this following code it compresses the iso so that it will fit on a 650mb cd without having to over burn it.

cdimage.exe -lOFFICE2003 -t07/07/2003,12:00:00 -h -n -m -o \ C:\office 2003.iso

I think that its the -o switch that compresses/optimises the image. is it possible to change ths in the program? if I try to change it doesn't compress it but if i run it from the cmd it makes it about 3% smaller.

just a thought.

-ie stuff...that's how ms sees not installing it...i'm going to skip corefiles list in order to fully remove ie.

nuhi,that be really nice,becouse IE is still hiden and I think the xp be more faster!

Ok, i will revise gui once more, it will be simpler.

@gareththegod, it's the same attributes...what version of nLite have you tested and encounter unoptimized iso ? See changelog when new attributes were implemented.

@Rudi1, will do, the thing is i always keep ie so i didn't noticed those files before.

People...i'm now writing this post from nLited Windows Pro English (with sp2 2126)

on the REAL pc.

There was no problem during installation or otherwise.

Installed all my usual programs, all drivers installed unattendently, no problem.

I have chosen nLite preset + language support (except central european) + modem and printer support in nLite beta 9.3.

This version is no different than 9.2 except few new options.

If you had a problem with 9.2 don't use this one either.

Non-english versions seems to still have some issues, but i can't help you if you don't find what exact component is a problem or you send me your original infs so that i can see where is the problem (that's 10-15 files, compressed few mbs).

Always first use nLite on clean windows (except maybe xpcreate) and know this...if it's working in virtual machines it's working in the real ones as well.

beta 9.3

- fixed some help files reported missing (not all, need more combinations)

- new component: Java Virtual Machine (only if detected)

- new component: ClipBook Service

- new component: Printer Support

- new component: Modem Support

CDIMAGE does not compress anything. It optomizes. The ONLY time the image will be SMALLER when using CDIMAGE then the reported FOLDER size, is when inside teh folder, there are IDENTICAL files.

Also, I'd say use something other then -o.

2 small bugs:

the language support button is not checked in when you load the program when all the options are selected in it

if you've added new items to remove under a category and you had all the options selected aswell as the main item the main item will remain checked altho the new item(s) won't be selected

@Jazz

-ie stuff...that's how ms sees not installing it...i'm going to skip corefiles list in order to fully remove ie.

-cursors should stay if you didn't select them...what the...

-haven't look wordpad thing just yet

-wmi corrupted...you tampered somehow with installation additionally...i always install nlited windows on my real pc, no such problems

-snapin problem is connected to wmi and services...

-hotfixes are mistery

Conclusion is that you made some kind of mistake...it can't be that nlite suddenly stoped working.

Or even the funnier thing is that you tested on VMWare and everything was ok.

Try nLite on clean windows, add unattended stuff later.

(maybe xpcreate can be used before)

Hmm well i dont think u checked my log file attached to the post, cuz in it u'd see that although i've not selected the Cursors to be removed, they're still removed as somehow there into the Accebility options !!! and the same is happenin to 9.3 as well....

Also, i dint even select anything regarding wmi or terminal services, cuz i very well know they give problems, look at my log file...

Also, i'm using the very same i386 processed by xpcreate that i was using since beta 2, so i dont think now it gonna be any problem..

And well i still have the vmware image on which i installed this xp, and it was working fine... i'll try to arrange for some sscreenies as my pc stabilises..

Regarding the hotfixes, i'm yet tryin to figure it out... dunno why is it acting up, probably i'm removing some components UPDATED by the hotfix after integrating them... like for eg, i update the orig sources ti use latest wmp, then i remove the wmp from nLite, probably that can be one problem !

I'll still try to figure it out though...

nways will keep ya posted..

Bye,

Jazz

PS :- i think that u should make the log file a bit more discreet, like it does make a file list, but i think it should also list the files that it deletes, so we actually know if theres a BOOBOO :)

Edited by Jazz

Ok well things are different in 9.3 (atleast in vmware), cursors working good, Local security policy good, even IE is good, not to forget wordpad working cool...

What else..... only the missing updates on the ms site is a mystery... who can look into this..

Anyone else using xpcreate BEFORE nLite please can u confirm some things with me ??

Bye,

Jazz

@Jazz

I'll create a base XPCREATE image this weekend, and use nLite on it (it will actually be the first time I use the program besides viewing it :) )

What did you remove? I'm sure the INI file nLite create might be helpful so I know what components you selected so I can select the same ones.

@Unaimed, yes...and the most annoying one is that i haven't made grey checkbox...half selected..priority boost

@Jazz, if you are using english windows there shoulnd't be any problem and i asure you that 9.2 and 9.3 are the same in the core...but i had similiar reports before...that next version is working and stuff.

I'm glad you are not angry anymore.

@Alanoll....oooh...so you all are testing it only on XPCreate...do you believe me that i haven't, yet (because of sp2 beta).

Going to do it later...maybe there is a problem, who knows.

@Hanschke, even if you select everything it will work (well i don't know for german, be carefull with language support option) but when you say that it won't boot, it's obvious that it's something trivial.

You are the first one claiming it won't boot, maybe you don't know that in VMWare you need to press F2 and setup "bios" to boot from cd.

Or you tampered with CDImage attributes and removed bootsector.