nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

@Milgathia

I tested compression (i think i did) and there was no difference...but to be sure i'll put option to copress more...on expence on some extraction speed

(but don't complain then )

Read first, think, then post later.

Hiya nuhi - a couple of things...I still have some 1394 files left in my i386, is this intended?

1394.in_

1394vbdg.in_

also, I know the C_* files are codepages, but arent they specific for language? Like 2 or so correcspond to like english, french, or german....so forth and so on...if we are reducing the language section shouldnt these c_* files be included in getting rid of the other languages? You can see what c_* files go with what under control panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced -> Code Page Conversion Tables.

I just installed using the latest version.. I *DIDNT* check to remote sndvol32 (Volume control) or Disk Defragmentor (dfrg.msc).. On first look i thought it had removed them.. (Im running the installation of xp that was slimmed down by nLite now).. But on closer inspection the icons were just missing...

Also there was a folder in the control panel, i dont know what it was.. But it had the icon of a "Hidden folder".. I just right clicked on it and pressed remove..

1 more thing: I added bliss.jpg to the "non-remove" list in nLite, yet, it still removed it!

Just thought i should tell ya of these bug(s).. There easy to fix by hand!

Keep up the superb work with nLite!

Chris!

Edit: - Reguarding the Bliss.jpg.. i just checked and nLite didnt delete it like i asked it to, but it didnt get copyed over to the cd during the installation!

Edit2 - Found another bug.. the http:// url handler wont work.. If i goto start click run and type a url it wont work or if i try to create a shortcut with a url :)

-- This is the same for any url handler in run or shortcut, ftp, telnet, mms, anything..

Chris.

@evilvoice, those 1394 must be there...they are empty, edit and see for yourself

Codepage files are needed or you won't be able to browse sites on that language...tried before to remove...catastrophic results

@CuBie, i'll see about defragmenter...sndvol icon is in old multimedia apps (cdplayer and mplayer), who needs icon when it's in the taskbar for starters but good noticing

Hidden folder, don't know...probably some experimental option you chosen.

Keep box...images...ok...going to check that, that option hasn't been fully tested.

Shortcuts not working...first time i hear that...did you removed ie or something...hmm must check that...you can tell me details on email so we can fix it

Thanx for detailed description, very helpful

Uploaded beta 9.2

- new component: BITS service

- new component: WEB Folders

- fixed firewall.cpl issue

- added option: Higher Compression of driver.cab

edit: CuBie, check if bliss.jpg is in your system32 folder

great work on 9.2 it reduced my cd lots :)

about 40MB from 9.1 to 9.2 of a reduction :rolleyes:

my xp cd is now 175MB (Original XP Pro)

and additional programs are 76MB

great program :D

I sometimes wonder whether people actually test their installs.....

They use the program, happy with the results and continue. Good job goes to RyanVM and MarkyMoo for some major bug hunting. Come this weekend....I'll see about finding more.... :)

Hello folks, I'm a first time visitor to these forums, yet felt I had to register solely to offer my praise and thanks for nuhi's fantastic programme!

I was always a fan of 98lite, yet after waiting several years for XPlite, was left a little disappointed by its 'post-install only' component stripping.

nLite is already an impressive piece of software - I'm looking forward to future updates, and am curious as to just how much clutter can be removed!

If I could make one suggestion/request, it would perhaps be for a post-installation option to remove empty folders (such as those applications usually installed in 'Program Files'), although I expect such minor functionality will wait until the release candidates!

Anyway, thanks again; great job - take it easy!

James

bunch of files missing in the textmode... most of them are chm/hlp files [removed help and support] and camera driver files.

is anyone else having the same problem?

ps: i'm using gosh's reducing source method after using nlite

@sen, i wish i could help you but once i had similiar problem when i deleted few directories in windows and ran my regtweaks...weird

@bucketbuster, probably, because i hate those too.

(tried webfolders before but it's integrated in ie so it will take some ie tweaking, it may be doable without removing ie...i hope)

@Jazz, i was busy with studing and win2k reduction (stupid me, want too much in short time) soo i'll look into it these days

I tested compression (i think i did) and there was no difference...but to be sure i'll put option to copress more...on expence on some extraction speed

(but don't complain then :D)

@punk, that's great news...i was scared for the moment, but if you read carefully descriptions you will see that many options in language support are not recommended if you don't have english windows.

About your problem...don't select Distributed Transaction Coordinator

And try RECOMMENDED preset first...then test further

@Hista & Nastradamus, thanx

Lol, looks like we're back in buisness...

Chacked the claims and they work ! :rolleyes: i again get to reduce my cd by 130MB ! yeehoo..

And I I captain, wont complain a bit.. :)

BYe,

Jazz

suggestion for services removal

I currently have all these disabled and experience no probs, so i thought removing them would just free up more space :)

ClipBook

NT LM Security Support Provider

PCTel Speaker Phone

Portable Media Serial Number Service

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry

Smart Card

Smart Card Helper

SSDP Discovery Service

TCP/IP Net Bios Helper

Telnet

Wireless Zero Configuration

@CuBie, i'll see about defragmenter...sndvol icon is in old multimedia apps (cdplayer and mplayer), who needs icon when it's in the taskbar for starters but good noticing

Hidden folder, don't know...probably some experimental option you chosen.

Keep box...images...ok...going to check that, that option hasn't been fully tested.

Shortcuts not working...first time i hear that...did you removed ie or something...hmm must check that...you can tell me details on email so we can fix it

Thanx for detailed description, very helpful

edit: CuBie, check if bliss.jpg is in your system32 folder

I've checked and bliss.jpg is being put into the system32 folder (Should be in system32\web..)!

Also, i checked about the ftp:// and http:// in run and shortcuts.. I said eirler that none work (mms://, telnet://).. This is wrong.. Only ftp:// and http:// dont work...

Im sure it has somthing to do with the registry - does nLite edit the hives?

Chris.

Edit:

Okay, i've noticed some more things, although i didnt tell it to remove Internet Explorer the icon has been removed from the "Quick Launch" bar AND the start menu...

Also i done a bit of digging around the registry, this is the key that somehow nLite has managed to remove for http://, ftp:// and i think just about any url that is handled by IE..

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<<HANDLER>>\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" -nohome"

(<<HANDLER>> is each one, https, http, ftp.. etc)

Anyway lets kick these bug's a**'s! lol :)

Chris.

<-- short back on topic to make nuhi going crazy :-)

Bugs in nlite9.2 :)

Buildet iso's with InternetExplorer, Wordpad and Defragmenter inside loose all this tools by installation, but i have seen that all is still in the folder DLLCache.

I have made 2 different iso's to be sure that i don't post some bulls*** here :rolleyes:

for me ipconfig doesnt work, it says something about not finding the hostname

it might be vmware that is causing it although if it's not i'll try to identify what component causes it..