nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

Ok, then i'll make proper installer for next issue...until then try installing winrar and extract it...if that doesn't work, then try fixing your file system...

chkdsk /f

thank you for this post but the problem is somewhere else. i'm a bit experienced user but i can't find a solution.

excuse me - i'm offtopic. maybe i should/will create a new topic in the adequate forvm section.

there are some zip files i can open with windows (total) commander but i get an error message when i try to open the rest of my compressed zip files.

and the built-in XP zip feature opens the zip files (i can view them with explorer) but all of their contents looks like this (for example a zip file with three files compressed in it):

Name Type

WINDOWS File

WINDOWS File

WINDOWS File

the filenames (foldernames too) changed to "WINDOWS" word and when i try to extract them it says "can't find the path specified"

rar files seems to be empty in total commander but unrar does nothing.

i have an unrar command line version executable. it just won't run. when i type unrar to the command prompt it's blank and then quits (by default it should show the command line switches description for unrar).

i tried to reinstall unrar and later i downloaded the full winrar too but its installer is a bit different (i think it's compressed too). when i try to install winrar it shows in its dialog: Extracting - Cannot create, Cannot create - Extracting - Cannot create.... and i get a windows error message (similiar to Mohammed's errormsg: "Some files could not be created. Close all apps and reboot."

I downloaded WinZip but it can't open any zipfiles.

I downloaded the old pkunzip - it can open all zip files! Interesting.

I tried to compare by properties those zip files i can open and those i can't but there's no information.

I know a simple solution and i resolved it by installing a clean windows (it worked, the new system doesn't have this bug). It's okay but i don't like to forget such errors. I would like to know what causes it.

I tried to remember what changes i made before i experienced the first error of a compressed file but there was no special changes. No virus found, etc.

M$ support is useless, no information @ google... etc.

It was a coincidence finding this forum with the same error message.

(cfg: asus p4p800, p4-2.4-800, 2x256ddr400, modded winxpsp1 since 2004 february)

zip.jpg

Was/is your filesystem NTFS? Not sure if this may help but perhaps you had another program that had associated /locked itself to those particular files/format type?

I am probably wrong about this but I had a similar problem with some mp3 files & my default tagging app. Couldn't delete them no matter what I did, till finally rebooting in SafeMode. Later I found this:

There are ways to find out what process has files locked under NTFS. Check

the support site at microsoft for details on that.

Here's an example for Server 2003 that should also work under XP:

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/processlock.htm

HTH

Was/is your filesystem NTFS? Not sure if this  may help but perhaps you had another program that had associated /locked itself to those particular files/format type?

it's ntfs but the files don't seem to be locked because i can delete them.

the associations are not broken. and i tried to restore the zip associatons.

is it just me , or what ? but after removing the same components with beta 9 (infact i even removed the extra scsi drivers) Nlite removed only 113 mb where as previously it used to remove atleast 121 mb.. ?

Can someone confirm this ??

My selected.ini :-

also have this type of problem, i select TONS of drivers, hack and so on but only 130MB of reduce...why?

Yep nuhi, i checked it out once again... the reduction is not as much as it used to be....

I think u should recheck the new driver compression technique, maybe thats a reason or something ?

Anyways i'll try the next version and let ya know if it stiil is the same..

BYe,

Jazz

... I think u should recheck the new driver compression technique, maybe thats a reason or something ? ...

The new technique should yield DRIVER.CAB files that are about 10% bigger than the older version. Check the size of this file from the two different versions. On a full DRIVER.CAB file, saving that 10% can easily add 5 minutes to install time. Tradeoff ...

Hi sir

THX

now i can use it in chinese version

THX

but there have a problem

when i open "contrl PLAN " and then open "system contrl"

and then " local machine security "

IT SHOW error

____________below is my select__________________

[Components]

Applications

Accessibility Options

Briefcase

Defragmenter

Games

Internet Games

Pinball

Screensavers

Wordpad

Cameras

Display Adapters

Toshiba DVD decoder card

IBM Thinkpad

InfraRed

Isdn

Modems

Portable Audio

Printers

Scanners

Smartcards

Sound Controllers

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)

SCSI

Internet Utilities

Communications Apps

FrontPage Extensions

Internet Connection Wizzard

Internet Explorer

Internet Information Services

Internet Printing

Messenger

MSN Explorer

Netmeeting

Optional Net Components

Outlook Express

QoS Packet Scheduler

Arabic

Baltic

Central Europe

Chinese Simplified

Cyrillic

Georgian

Greek

Hebrew

Indian

Japanese

Korean

Thai

Turkish

Vietnamese

Multimedia

Images and Backgrounds

Luna Theme

Media Player

Movie Maker

Old Sound Rec and CDPlayer

Speech Support

Windows Sounds

Music Sample

Mouse Cursors

Operating System Options

File and Settings Wizzard

Help

Manual Installation (winnt32.exe support)

MS Agent

Search Assistant

Tour

Upgrade from Win9x/NT

Services

Fax Services

Indexing Service

System Restore

Error Reporting

Autoupdate

Terminal Services

Experimental

AppPatch

Management Instrumentation

Mdac

Out of Box Experience

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Message Queuing

Directories

support

valueadd

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

scrnsave.scr

[RemoveFiles]

sir

THX

... I think u should recheck the new driver compression technique, maybe thats a reason or something ? ...

The new technique should yield DRIVER.CAB files that are about 10% bigger than the older version. Check the size of this file from the two different versions. On a full DRIVER.CAB file, saving that 10% can easily add 5 minutes to install time. Tradeoff ...

OK, you've piqued my curiosity. What is being done different compared to standard LZX compression?

@Nuhi,

Just wanted to say great work, and keep it up! Can't wait for RC1 - I'm sure it'd hit SourceForge's Top 10 list and the [H] front page within a week of release.

-Hista

@sen, i wish i could help you but once i had similiar problem when i deleted few directories in windows and ran my regtweaks...weird

@bucketbuster, probably, because i hate those too.

(tried webfolders before but it's integrated in ie so it will take some ie tweaking, it may be doable without removing ie...i hope)

@Jazz, i was busy with studing and win2k reduction (stupid me, want too much in short time) soo i'll look into it these days

I tested compression (i think i did) and there was no difference...but to be sure i'll put option to copress more...on expence on some extraction speed

(but don't complain then :))

@punk, that's great news...i was scared for the moment, but if you read carefully descriptions you will see that many options in language support are not recommended if you don't have english windows.

About your problem...don't select Distributed Transaction Coordinator

And try RECOMMENDED preset first...then test further

@Hista & Nastradamus, thanx