nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

Just tried out ummmm 8 I think it was and this is a great tool, best one I have tried so far. :D

I would like to make a couple suggestions though, if I may, from a non-programmer's point of view.......

Maybe move the Iso make section to the last step if possible. I know it confused the crud out of me when I first tried this. I kept getting the same size ISO as I started out with :) .

Second thing I can think of is add a section to create winnt.sif file with the possiblity of adding your key numbers, non-admin acct, possibly country code, umm timezone, etc. Since it creates it already, and no, I am perfectly capable of busting the ISO and editing it myself, just thought it might be easier for others. Also might save a screw up or two for those that are use to just dropping a self created winnt.sif in the 1386 folder, and over writing yours, causing a problem.

Just a couple suggestions :rolleyes:

I'm making the critical assumption that things still work the way they did in the early builds of nLite (the last ones I used), but you don't HAVE to create an ISO. You can stop before that stop.

I just try nLite beta 9 with latest xp sp2 2135 and work without any problem.I try this in xp home edition retail.It's really miracle what so small progi can do!

:)

i have just a litle not important guestion:when everything of install is finish in program files left empty folder(IE,OE,movie maker...)?

@ nuhi Its great to see your injected enthusiasm in such a needed tool making waves and benefiting the majority.

It just gets better and better where will it all end....Right now i can't see an end. So many possibilties. This is getting huge. We all passengers on a race track and nuhi the driver.

Turn my back..Bang! here comes another beta release.

I used the xp home sp1 cd that came with my laptop with nlite beta9. After going through all the steps and testing the iso with vmware I get Copy Errors for the missing cursor files,music.wma,music.asx, and music.bmp. No other problems were noted. All seems fine after the install

bigman1

@Hamner...ok, i have made some kind of tooltip when you cross over Make ISO button, will be in next release...i still don't want all page for making iso, maybe later.

Winnt.sif...well, as Milgathia stated you can put your own in data or overwrite before making iso...it's not crucial, you can put any winnt.sif, just it's good to have those sfc and driver signature entries.

Winnt.sif maker tool exists, made by bored i think. Search for it.

@Rudi1...yey...about empty folders, i'm still searching from where they get made, i'm affraid if it's syssetup or layout then there is no cure, they have signature, can't be touched.

@Markymoo, :)

@bigman1, just don't select Music Sample option...this is second time i got this bug report, putting it on known bug list, thanx

About cursors...i'll see that, it's a new option so there could be an error

I just try nLite beta 9 with latest xp sp2 2135 and work without any problem.I try this in xp home edition retail.It's really miracle what so small progi can do!

:)

i have just a litle not important guestion:when everything of install is finish in program files left empty folder(IE,OE,movie maker...)?

You'll probably only be able to delete those by disabling WFP and deleting them via a batch script.

I just tried beta9, and it works great; NO errors!

One question: why is the scrnsave.scr needed?

Keep up the good work nuhi :)

EDIT:

Forgot one thing: will it be possible in a future release to select what printers drivers aren't removed?

Because I use the XPdriver for my HP Deskjet 840C.

I haven't tried installing my drivers in safe mode, just because I don't want it to do it that way. All the other setups run just fine. First I thought it might have been the problem of my RunOnceEx, but even when I tried in normal mode it wouldn't work...

I have tried it with drivers left in there, and with all the drivers out. No difference. Stupid setup from nVidia, first time I wish I didn't have this nForce chipset. Maybe the setup uses something I do not know, but so far I only know that the setup requires DirectX9 for install but it warns you if you don't have DirectX9. Is there anything else that the setup could need? I just left out everything that is recommended for removal except for wordpad, IE, QoS, firewall, Multilanguage support, error reporting, autoupdate, security center.

It's just sucky that everything else works just fine, but even if I go into the hardware manager and select the ethernet card, I choose to install the driver from a specific location, browse to the right folder with the right drivers in it, it doesn't find the drivers... I guess this has something to do with the GART drivers that need to be installed too, maybe this is because VMWare can't acces the chipset the way it's supposed to or not? I have no idea.

Aztec are you using SP2, as there is a known problem with both SP2 and Lognhorn where the nfroce drivers won't install, i personally believe this is, because a new windows installer/installshield is included. XP SP1a/ has v2, SP2 has v3, and Longhorn has 4 although it isn't finsihed so i doubt the 4 is much different vs the current v3 builds in sp2.

@bucketbuster, scrnsave.scr is just an example how can you save single file from component removal (and i like that "blank screen saver" :))

About printers...it's hard to tell because they are all in one file, listen what you can try...edit ntprint.inf in your i386 folder and find section with your printer, copy file names used in that particular printer and put it to "File keep box", it may work.

@AztecMystic, that's a serious problem, tell me, you experienced that only on virtual machines or in the real pc too ?

Normaly virtual machines have their own emulated hardware, windows will not see it as nforce.

@Famer, acctually i was thinking about it, when "16bit" and music sample bug are solved it could be named rc1.

In a week probably.