nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

@Sgt_Strider Thats a good question if you update to wmp 9 with XPCREATE whats the point if you going to rip it out with nLite. I think you answered your own question.

Due to the success of nLite i can use it as a standard install now with all ripped out. I have been trying to use nLite on a AIO dvd without success so far. I want to make several xp boot dirs pointing to one main nLite xp dir. I create a boot dir(edited setupldr.bin+DAT) copy winnt.sif and txtsetup.sif(edited sourcepath to point to nLite dir) from nLite to the boot folder. It bombs out during setup. I detect i can't do this with nLite somethings at work

I rather not have 5 seperate nLite 250-270mb dirs but just 1 and 5 (6mb each) boot folders pointing to that 1 saving space. So then i can have seperate installs autopartition,manual partition,oem etc.

Some nice further touches into nLite would be hehe. Nothing like being greedy.

Disable All Ballon Tips

Remove Shared Documents

Remove Documents & Fav folders from Start Menu

Optional turn off Recycle Bin

Improve Core System Performance

Replace IE Homepage

Disable Sounds

Reduce Time Hung Applications

Add Command Prompt Option to Every Folder

Hi

Markymoo the main goal of nlite is reduce the size of windows it is not a tweak or optimization program and the further touches you mentions like

Disable All Ballon Tips

Remove Shared Documents

Remove Documents & Fav folders from Start Menu.....etc

cab be done with simple batch or inf files in the installation cd

Hmm, after a new install trying out nLite again, the installer prompted me for a certain file namen dtihait.ht_ or something, I just popped in my winxp pro sp1 cd and he copied from there, after that i switched the cd's again, so no problem but maybe a glitch worth mentionning.

With the first install I had some problems with my network, second time I left in the QoS packet scheduling and internet explorer and that solved the problem, maybe someone else also had this too...

For the rest, top notch program, it's really made for dummies like me :D. Although I study informatics :). Anyway, maybe there would be a way to implement like a directx, driver, codec update etc. All pre-install and not post-install, I have tried doing it with batch files but I screwed up totally :rolleyes: . Where do you guys get the 2126 version anyway, the only one I was able to pull of the net was 2096. After that I had to install 3 critical updates still, maybe you could implement those too.

Maybe I'm asking a bit much, but if I could implement them into your prog I would. Because then this would become the only tool you'd ever need to trim your windows and at the same time make a fresh, clean and even up to date install.

One more thing (sry :D ), I didn't edit the winnt.sif file and the only thing the install asked me was the partition during the text install, didn't even ask me to format the drive, what resulted is that now I have a windows.0 folder and dualboot ...

Now the only thing is the install from HD, I wasted a lot of CD's already by experimenting, but hey, can't get it perfect otherwise

@Sgt_Strider, if you remove media player then on windows update they will prompt you with full version of player and it's hotfixes

MDAC no, OOBE only if you don't need to activate windows (corporate version)

@Jazz, I think it will be best that you first run nLite and then XPCreate without unneeded hotfixes

@RyanVM, yes, so then it's ok to keep that option ? No legal issues ?

@ladybird, hip hip huray :)

@Markymoo, interesting sollution, but i don't see why a working nLite stripped windows will pose any problem

I mean if you test one installation and it works, there is no way that nLite can cause problems if setupldr.bin is tampered

Try this...leave manual install option, nLite it, do gosh's slimming rutine and then boot folder you can tamper all you want, but leave i386 as the main thing.

That should work, if you can't make it work contact me on email.

About reg options, that's low priority at the time, maaaybe one day but i doubt it

@AztecMystic, please next time write it down and you can see in nlite log what option caused that error, tried variations but can't find what file that was

About QoS packet scheduling, can you tell me what kind of connection do you have so i can put it in description warning (but i don't see how that can affect it, maybe it's some beta 6 general bug, wait and test beta 7 later)

New updates will be possible to integrate without fuss, i will see about it because you have xpcreate, it was here long time and it has tradition :rolleyes:

Don't worry, next time just delete partition and recreate it, that's common unattended practice.

Directx is under way.

Next time test in VMWare and VirtualPC.

nuhi

I dont know if you have tried using your tool with xpcreate. But some of us have. And we get an error. WU sees 3 hotfixes missing. Where MSBA does not see them missing. Was wondering if it would be a file you are editing. as it happens in either order (nlite xpcreate or xpcreate nlite) I am not sure how WU checks for updates or how MSBA does it. But there has to be a difference or they would see the same things

@GrimSage

the real question would be, which ones are missing? second, is it even remotely connected to a removed component?

WU check for Registry entries mostly.

MSBA check file versions and sizes.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=19109

KB828741, KB835732 & Update Rollup 1 KB826939

since we get teh error when using nlite I would assume it is since it does not happen if we just use xpcreate.  or at least when I just use xpcreate

you failed to answer #2. What did you try to remove?

The RollUp has known issues with removing components. You remove teh wrong one, and it shows up. My guess is teh same thing for the others.

MBSA works because it scans file versions, and XPCreate replaces old file with the new ones.

The updates probally cancel out as it's missing one of the components it was supposed to patch. Have you tried looking at their logs? They do tell what errors if any occured.