nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

@edmoncu, you edited your post so here is the answer on second part.

Service Pack Messages are safe to delete. MDAC i wouldn't recommend removing it until new full version is released to replace present one.

@RyanVM, i think of it as an advantage because you can run nLite multiple times without needlesly recompressing drivers, but the idea stands...there is a new option, "Force Drivers Recompression".

@R600, don't select any of the Language Support options and try again with new version.

@Jedi82, same as for R600...next time look into nlite.log file, search for missing file and see for yourself what you selected but shouldn't have.

@hinet, try beta2 and paste any problems translated in English.

And if someone else has Chinese version to test it (without selecting any Language Support option for starters)

edit: Updated - beta2 posted, check header thread

@RyanVM, i think of it as an advantage because you can run nLite multiple times without needlesly recompressing drivers, but the idea stands...there is a new option, "Force Drivers Recompression".

Nah, what I'm saying could be done through a simple IF statement. The program checks for sp1.cab and sp2.cab and if it finds them, it does expanding/combining/recompressing into driver.cab. If it doesn't see them, it doesn't bother.

Also, will there be any negative effects from using a different version of SFC_OS.dll than the rest of the files (say I integrate a newer SP2 build than what's currently available to the general public)? It seems to me that there's a potential liability there. Of course, when SP2 goes final, you could simply have RTM, SP1, and SP2 versions of the file and which one gets copied depends on which version of XP is detected.

I suggest you add a tooltip or something saying how safe something would generally be to delete. Like the games would be safe. And something like different drivers would be dangerous or if one is need by another. Lie OE is needed if you plan to install Outlook (at least I think it is).

Also I dont know how hard it would be but maybe the ability to select different drivers to remove. LIke say I want the HP ones to stay since I have everything HP but I dont need canon ones.

Just some thoughts

hey man nuhi great tool

i tried using it on my win xp professinal sp1a integrated files

and it decompressed all drivers, cos when i go into the folder where winxp is, i see a massive 300mb drivers folder, but the problem is i think it hangs halfway, i dont think its recompressing them or something like that?

@RyanVM, that's all good, i'll think about it, because it's really frustrating to wait all that recompression if i didn't select any driver.

About sfc, so far so good, nobody has any problems with it, the only problem is that it's disabled :)

Tried on sp0,sp1,sp2

@GrimSage, tooltips are on todo list, thanx

@shadowfla, can you send me your log file

@nuhi, a question again. is it safe to re-apply nLite to an already nLite'ed xp install folder? for example, on my first nLite attempt, i only removed the video drivers... would it be possible then to re-run nLite to the same folder if ever (for example) i am to remove sound drivers? thanks :)

@Alanoll, I agree, it's too big for a runtime, but when i compared code in c++ and c#, i gave up on c++, but if Framework support shows as a problem I can transport it into c++ within week or two, but lets not be hasty.

@nuhi

I agree with Alanoll.

Each time i need to run your program to build a new ISO, i need to install 1st .NET Framework because i'm working with different computers in Labs environnement who haven't .net installed.

A C++ version would be a very good idea...

Hi all

Nlite keeps hanging at some point (usually at the "building file list" stage, sometimes at the "deleting files" point) no matter which kind of selection I make. I'm building out of an Italian distro, no SP1, on a Win2k box. Logfile reports a long file list and than nothing else happens (Nlite process at 29 MB ram, hardly any HDD activity). I've tried any possible combination with the same risult.

Any idea?

Ciao

Nico

@nuhi, works like a treat, well done, but i have a couple of requests, 1 would it be possible to have a small config file for xpcd location so dont have to enter it everytime, 2 also instead of waiting for it to recompress files and then choose to make iso, how about being able to choose to make an iso before you start that way you just click start and when you come back to it it truly is finshed

Works smoothly from a WinXP PC. I guess I wrongly assumed I could run it from a 2k Installation. Many thanks to nuhi for the great job (now I can fit several 2k and XP configurations in one CD).

ciao

Nico

havent tested the final product of running the program, but boy does it reduce the installation...

One problem, it deletes the ValueAdd folder...I understand that this is prolly an overlooked folder on most users parts as it usually contains stuff people dont need, but I put programs that can not be installed using runonceex in here for running upon users request at a later time...Could you somehow move the option to delete valueadd out of automatic to a check box...if it is a checkbox, then disregard this as I am an id*** and didnt see it...

Other than that, I agree with the tooltips, though Im not sure it needs to be the normal yellow popup...if you wanted, you could just make it to where if a user clicked on an option, in the messagebox, it displays what it is...Like for 1394 driver..."This is used to install firewire support, if you have anything that utilizes firewire or something plugged into your firewire port, and you do not load the driver yourself, do not disable this" Something like that...granted I do not know what everything does, I was just testing to see how much space I can save, and whoooo is it a lot...I may be able to add photoshop or office2k3 now YAY!...

@edmoncu. it should work, only try not to select same option again, to be safe

@Bilou_Gateux, yep, that will be a priority after we solve some more bugs and requests

@FAKE_URL, i'm going to make more detailed logging so i could see what went wront, come tomorrow and download new version

@evilvoice, noted...i was wondering was it wise to delete it, now you answered it

so the idea will be to put some sort of scanning directories and making new tree options of that dirs so you can delete and leave whatever you want

About the tips, my idea also, but it seems that i'm running out of space, going to need and make normal application window, or at least expand this one.

I'm going to take 800*600 as a normal minimal resolution so that i can expand the gui a little bit.