nLite - Windows reduction tool

nuhi

sorry nuhi, i installed your lovely program but...but i receive this message-->

Select folder with Windows XP installation

Calculating size...Done

D:\Documents and Settings\Jedi82\Desktop\XPCD\  (403MB) (i have on my HD)

Windows XP SP1 detected (5.1.2600.1106)

Recommended to slipstream SP2

Choose Slipstream on bottom left

or configure existing version

so if i click on slipstream he ask to find an exe file but..i don't know the file, what's his name???

unless you want to slipstream it with xpsp2 and you have the xpsp2 network redistributable installer, then that will be the file you'll be choosing, otherwise, just click on start and it will just trim the contents in your folder (based on the checklist you enabled to be removed):

D:\Documents and Settings\Jedi82\Desktop\XPCD\

I don't think SP2 integration works properly. I selected the EXE and it extracted the files, but the directory still shows only the SP1 files. There's no .SP2 in the root or anything.

Also, it would be a really cool feature if you did the integrating of SP1.cab and SP2.cab into drivers.cab. That'll shave off a good 20+MB as well.

oh my god oh my god oh my GAAAAAAWD!!!

this is AMAZING!!!

where hv u been hiding nuhi....ur first release and WAT a classic!

absolutely beautiful my man....

i havnt tried it, but belive me, the day my A levels end....im gettin right onto this thing!!! :):D thumbs up to u pal!

@Jedi82, as edmoncu allready explained, just select what you want to remove and click Start. Slipstream is only if you downloaded service pack and want to integrate it into your installation before reduction.

@RyanVM, it is merging those cabs allready because it was easier and more economic, why recompress 2 files when you can put all in one.

About slipstream, you're right, i was changing atributes to suite both sp1 and sp2 but forgot to include sp2..thanx, will fix it together with multilanguage support.

@dtmunir, thanx :)

Then why is sp1.cab still there afterwards?

EDIT: Also, are you using makecab to recompress the cab files? If so, you can increase the compression ratio by using LZX compress. Just put /D CompressionType=LZX into the command line to enable it. It tends to take 15-20% off standard LZ compression and it decompresses faster according to MS.

nuhi, a couple of uhhmm, questions. :)

do you have some sort of a translation of what a component does (if its removed)? i am basing the components you listed thru jdeboeck's tutorial. i wonder if i am on the right track with these. there are some components that i am unsure of removing (like service pack messages), but i kinda look at em as non essential stuffs.

also, under the experimental, if ever i am to choose to delete mdac, will the mdac i am installing later thru runonceex.cmd (or svcpack.inf) be ignored since i assume that there's no mdac to update? i really got no much idea if its safe to remove all the items in the experimental section. :D

i hope you wont mind if im asking too much. :rolleyes::D

@RyanVM, I was wrong, it was long directory name issue.

I fixed it, will be uploading after test installation.

Try to put files in c:\xpcd for example, should work then.

Thanks for compression tips, integration under way.

@Test Zero, I hope we will eliminate every bug until then :)

(Don't forget to download new version)

edit: @edmoncu, well yes, i should make more extensive help, but you know how those things works, help last

In essence component is a component, you can relate to jdeboeck's web page, it's excellent

edit2: @RyanVM, and make sure to select at least one driver option, or else it will not touch the cabs

You need to have the downloaded SP2 exe file.

what's that file?? Can i download it in italian language?? It's a nice update or i can leave it alone?

@Jedi82, as edmoncu allready explained, just select what you want to remove and click Start. Slipstream is only if you downloaded service pack and want to integrate it into your installation before reduction.

But i did it long time ago with the sp1, it's right??

Then, i eliminate ISDN drivers, 200MB lost, wowwwww, it's dangerous????

That blue screen looks familiar. :)

just kidding.

I had one when I slipstreamed SP1 to XP... gave a blue screen saying "Locale for United Kingdom not recognised" or something like that.

@Jedi

you slipstreamed SP1. But the program is telling you it is RECOMMENDED not NECCESARY to slipstream SP2. You can leave it at SP1 and it will be fine.

Define dangerous. If there are drivers taht could concievably be needed later on, then maybe. Otherwise no worries.

Also, you don't need multiple ?'s. One will get the point across that it's a question