ftp network storage problem...

bman3022

Well first im not sure where to post this i hope this is the right spot.

Anyways My Bro just bought a Tritton network attached storage(T-NAS) which is basicly a storage thing that you can make in to a server.

Anyways the problem im having is that it says to set up the ftp i need to setup my routers "virtual server" so that it can route to the ftp request or something like that.

My question is how do i do that? I have a linksys router. Does any body now how to set it up?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm hav ing some trouble with mine too... I forwarded my router to the IP in my machine... But the things is t hat I can't get in from outside, I can view the files that I have on the FTP locally. My problem is that I think my IP address changes ever so often... ANyone know how to fix this? or do I have to pay for a static IP? Or is there a way that I can pay for someone to give me a Domain name for my FTP server??

Bman, which linksys router do you have?

Hydencity, You might be able to do it if your router supports DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service. You could buy a domain name and register it with a dynamic dns service. When your IP changes, DDNS updates as well, keeping you connected to your domain name.

http://www.dyndns.org/

OR... for just $7.77 a month, you could get this webhost, and just upload your files to your ftp site with them. 1GB of spage, with 5GB daily transfer rate.

[Edit] Nevermind the webhosting. DynDNS service is free. and nevermind the router support, you install a client program on the ftp machine, and it detects when your ip changes and sends the change info to DynDNS.org [/Edit]