InstallationFLY

CuBie

Hello!

installationFLY is program, made in visual basic 6, which lets you perform unattended installations on the fly. It works using configuration files. These configuration files are unattended files that you can load in iFly, and use to start a unattended installation. Once you have loaded one of the configuration files it lets you change some settings in the file "On The Fly" e.g. the "Username", "Organization" and all of the other settings that you would want to change from pc to pc - So it saves you making a new file!

The newest version is a critical update - it contains alot of new error checking code and a coupple of improvements.

Download the latest version from the attachment of this post.

--

FAQ:

Q: What is the latest version?

A: 1.03

Q: Where can i download it?

A: From the attachment of this post.

Q: I've downloaded it, what do i need to make it work?

A: If your running it from PE you need to put the visual basic 6 runtimes in the same folder as it, Make a configuration folder in the same folder as it and put a unatended file in the config folder, that has been renamed to a .ini file.

Q: How much does it cost?

A: Nothing, its free and allways will be.

Q: Whats the url to the website?

A: There isnt a website, as of yet

Q: I want access to the source code, so i can add some features - will this be possible?

A: No. Not for the time being. iFly is closed source. If enough people ask i will consider about making it open source.

Q: Where do i put this on my pe or AIO cd?

A: Place it where ever you like. It dosen't matter.

Q: Where do i place the configuration Files?

A: Place them in a directory called CONFIG in the same directory as the program.

Q: Can i have multipul configuration files?

A: Yep.

Q: I have found a bug, what do i do?

A: Post it here, or email me it at: chris@fruitytooty.com

Q: I don't like the idea of having to manually find the path to winnt32.exe every time, what can i do?

A: Yes. Create a section [settings] with a key called SetupPath in your config file. Set SetupPath to your winnt32.exe file.

[settings]    SetupPath="%drive%\I386\WINNT32.EXE"

Q: I've used the SetupPath key to provide the location of the winnt32.exe to the program, but its on a cd, so the drive letter wont be the same every time, how can i get arround this?

A: Use the variable %drive% in your SetupPath, the program will replace this with the drive its running on.

Q: Can i pass extra command line options to winnt32.exe?

A: Yes. Create a section [settings] with a key called Switches in your config file. Set it to the extra arguements you want to pass to winnt32.exe

[settings]    Switches="/blah /dothis"[/b]

--

Trouble Shooting:

Q: I get an error about missing dlls, when i run the program, what do i do?

A: You need to put the visual basic 6 runtimes in the same folder as the program.

Later All.

Chris. :)

iFly.zip

iFly.zip

Nice program, I am going to try it out later. Just a quick question, to clear this up where is placement? and how does it call the file? I am assuming it goes in the

%CDROM%\%XPInstall% folder.

It dosen't matter where you place it - it makes you find winnt32.exe thru a file open dialog. ALSO i forgot - you need the VB6 runtimes in the dir where the program is on the CD.

Chris.

Hey man how about you add the option to use what ever *.ini you like, example compaq.ini Dell.ini etc. this would solve the multiple installation issues without having to use a whole bunch of scripts.

so it scans the directory its in for ini files, puts them in a list and lets the user select one of them from a list? So u can have diffrent configurations?

Chris!

Added an update:

UPDATE v0.2

You can now specify the default path to winnt32.exe in your unatended configuration files!

To make use of this add a section called [settings] to your ini, with a key called SetupPath - make the value of setuppath the path to your winnt32.exe. Also you can use a variable called %drive%, that gives you the drive that the program is running on. Here an example

[settings]    SetupPath=%drive%\I386\winnt32.exe

Later all, Chris.

Added an update:

UPDATE v0.2

You can now specify the default path to winnt32.exe in your unatended configuration files!

To make use of this add a section called [settings] to your ini, with a key called SetupPath - make the value of setuppath the path to your winnt32.exe. Also you can use a variable called %drive%, that gives you the drive that the program is running on. Here an example

[settings]

SetupPath=%drive%\I386\winnt32.exe

Later all, Chris.

Will this support multiple installatin folders, i.e. %CDROM%\WXPP\i386, vice %CDROM%\2003\i386, I am assuming yes but am at work and cannot yet try it.

Added an update:

UPDATE v0.2

[settings]

SetupPath=%drive%\I386\winnt32.exe

Later all, Chris.

Will this support multiple installatin folders, i.e. %CDROM%\WXPP\i386, vice %CDROM%\2003\i386, I am assuming yes but am at work and cannot yet try it.

Yes!

Ive just finished v2, its got updated graphics and i cleaned all the code and made sure of no bugs. Just compiling it and making sure it works and ill upload!

Chris.

Thnx for the quick response cubie :)

plugin? does everything have to be a plugin? lol :rolleyes:

i was hoping it was just a nice simple executable

i guess everything has to be a plugin in bartpe?

but i would be perfectly content for the moment if i could successfully run unnattend.bat (with UNC paths) :D

Thnx for the quick response cubie :)

plugin? does everything have to be a plugin? lol :rolleyes:

i was hoping it was just a nice simple executable

i guess everything has to be a plugin in bartpe?

but i would be perfectly content for the moment if i could successfully run unnattend.bat (with UNC paths) :D

lol..

Im not sure if a plugin *has* to be made, or weather it can just be run from the exe on the cd.. You will have to put all the runtimes, the config folder and the ini in the config folder to test it..

if you do try it, give us a responce, see if it works!

Chris.

Hi there.... gonna try your .exe out later on today Cubie... seems sweet enough for me! One request though... if i am gonna use it, u better change that icon on the information section within the .exe.... :)