Hotfixes didnt install

GrimSage

I ran xpcreate and put all the hotfixes in the folders they were supposed to be in and this is what I got after running MSBSA

MS03-011 Flaw in Microsoft VM Could Enable System Compromise (816093) File version is less than expected. [C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll, 5.0.3805.0 < 5.0.3810.0] *******I know this one is susposed to be here*******

MS04-011 Security Update for Microsoft Windows (835732) File version is less than expected. [C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll, 5.1.2600.1106 < 5.1.2600.1346]

MS04-012 Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM (828741) File version is less than expected. [C:\WINDOWS\system32\catsrv.dll, 2001.12.4414.42 < 2001.12.4414.53]

MS04-014 Vulnerability in the Microsoft Jet Database Engine Could Allow Code Execution (837001) File version is less than expected. [C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\DAO\dao360.dll, 3.60.8025.0 < 3.60.8618.0]

Security updates that the tool cannot confirm as installed

MS03-008 Flaw in Windows Script Engine could allow code execution (814078)

MS03-030 Unchecked Buffer in DirectX Could Enable System Compromise (819696)

MS03-051 Buffer Overrun in Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions Could Allow Code Execution (813360)

And I got one that was greater than expected...

MS03-021 Flaw In Windows Media Player May Allow Media Library Access (819639) File version is greater than expected. [C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmp.dll, 9.0.0.3128 > 9.0.0.3008]

So i guess my question is, is this xpcreate or is this that I didnt get the newest versions of the hotfixes?

where would that be?

I deleted XP create when I did this actually. (Windows was severly f-ed up. WMI got corrupted thoughout.

I think some of the files were different sizes. I downloaded them with the XP Updater that Jono did. And when I used MSBSA It sent me to pages and some of the files were different by a few megs...

I will create again with these new files and see if I get the same errors.

Well ... computers are an exact science. Same or different?

WindowsXP-KB828741-x86-ENU.EXE  3,231,000 Bytes 
WindowsXP-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE  2,710,296 Bytes
WindowsXP-KB837001-x86-ENU.EXE  2,972,952 Bytes

I thought Jono fixed that.....or maybe he didn't.

I mentioned in a previous post that his installer downloaded the express installs of the April fixes instead of the full ones.

Maybe Grimsage got an old version, or maybe Jono didn't update it.

Just checked Jono's hotfix downloader and it still downloads the xpress versions as of the time of this post.

There is another one that is express in his downloader as well (KB833998.EXE).

Did anyone actually let him know or did we all just assume he read it in the forums?

I will post in his thread pointing him here.

Hi guys

Hope you don't think I'm cross-posting here but I noticed that I had some hotfixes that were different sizes to the ones on the current hotfixes list.

Worked fine so far...at the reboot point, I turned it off as it was 3am hehe :) except for one window (Microsoft VM) that pops up saying that "This update will replace any previous version or update"

(something along those lines - didn't jot it down at the time - naughty me)

I wonder if its because of the MDAC hotfix as I recall (not at home now, at work so can't check til later) the MDAC hotfix has a different 6-digit ID as oposed to the one on your website.

In fact, I couldn't find the one you have listed in my downloaded hotfies.

(I downloaded them from windows update - catalog - all updates for XP SP1 :rolleyes:)

Strange...

Regards,

N.

For the Java, it should display a message, but not requir user intervention. If it does, then I doubt it is installing. SP1 or SP1A?

I stand by my Current Hotfixes List: Those are the right hotfixes. As I recall, some cannot be found in Windows Update Catelog. you need to hijack them from Windows Update, either find the files after an update, or find C:\Windows\Windows Update.txt with the links.

The file placed in SVC-MDC should ONLY be the on listed on the site.

Hi GM

Its SP1a (I know - doesn't have the msjavu.exe part or something!?)

Do I need to add it using a guide somewhere around here or is the hotfix you have listed enough?

I stand by my Current Hotfixes List: Those are the right hotfixes
I dont dispute it...you're the boss :)

Yep...**** Windows Catalog is rubbish...I've had trouble in the past finding hotfixes before with it. Search of the knowledge base I usually found it that way.

The file placed in SVC-MDC should ONLY be the on listed on the site.

Yep...will 'try' and remember this hehe :rolleyes:

regarding the customised msjavx86/msjavu package that someone somewhere in this forum mentions (link to a page on your site regarding it), where would this go?

Sorry I'm being vauge...just busy at work and trying to reply to posts :D

Regards,

N.