Important Lesson to ALL!

AnthonyRomesh

If you ever visit any website, which has the Microsoft Logo on it, and describes itself as a Registered Partner of Microsoft, and asks to download a file called WinUpdate.exe, click no. If you click yes and you have a dial up, you will have enough time to cancel the installation, however if you have DSL, like I had, your worst nightmares, might come true.

The following things will occur the next time you start your system:

Windows will take an extra 30 seconds to load.

An annoying file called Project1 will sit in the processes list, in the task manager.

When connecting to your ISP you will be bombarded by pop-up windows, and if you have a pop-up blocker or firewall, it will fail block them.

System Restore, Windows Media Player, Search and your antivirus software, will not load or just bring up a white screen, in the center.

Your Internet Broswer will no longer understand Javascript.

So never download it.

You have been Warned!!

P.S : I have and am still living in that nightmare.

that are some places, that trick the system.

The box comes up, you click no, but the thing still gets installed. It's really annoying, but good thing I have a unattended disc, 30 minutes later, I have a perfectly clean system once again :)

I recently made the mistake of visiting astalavista.box.sk and found several pieces of crap such as "XXX Toolbar" and "PowerScan" had silently installed on my system. Fairly easy to get rid of but intensely annoying all the same.

If anyone is still suffering from these I am willing to get re-infected and write up the removal process.