How can I change the product key of win xp

slsl

Hi Everybody,

First time to post here, say Hello to everyone first.

Did anyone know how to change the product key of win xp ? I alreay installed

the winxp and running. I just want to change the already installed product key to

the other one. Can be ?

Thanks !!

Well anyone have any ideas on what my problem is?

I've changed the cd key from a 640 to a 645 and still I can't install the SP 1... I've even downloaded the whole 125mb file, and it still won't let me install... it always say's setup error and the usual message. :)

Erm... the product key used to be a -640- which I've seen here is affected by the WinXP SP1. So I used the cd key changer and the product key is now a -645- is that explained enough? :D

Anyway, it's saying that the Setup can't or won't run to install the SP1, because Windows is corrupted or invalid. :rolleyes:

So I assume it's something to do with the old product key.... :)

that's not the product key.

that would be the GUID the number assigned to the computer.

sounds to me like you're using a illegal copy.

640's if I remember were caused by a widely used pirated key, that was blacklisted in SP1. Go buy the the thing, and you won't get the error.

EDIT:: it's not GUID, it's PID. Whoops.

# Windows XP SP1 ships with a list of the two product IDs that are created by the pirated VLKs. To determine eligibility for the update, Windows XP SP1 compares the Windows XP product ID on the system to this list. The comparison and the list reside locally on the user's computer; no information is sent to Microsoft as part of this process. The Windows XP SP1 installation will fail on computers with the following product IDs:

# XXXXX-640-0000356-23XXX

# XXXXX-640-2001765-23XXX

Yeah sorry... The producy ID that was on the computer was already installed when I got the PC... and after reading here, I assumed that it must had been dodgy.

So I have used a legit product key to change it.... and it's still not working. So I think I'll format and install again a fresh all legit.

yeah, just try to reformat the thing. Might fix it. If you're feeling REALLY lucky with your key, you could slipstream it into your original XP cd, and then you'll find out quicker. It won't install if the key is bad.....