problems with winnt.sif

thought i would have a play around trying to create an unattended xp pro installation disc. managed to slipstream sp1 with XP pro and installs fine. trying to create an unattended disc using just a winnt.sif file before i try to create a disc that includes hotfixes etc etc.

so all i have done is to create the winnt.sif file and copy it to the I386 folder in Xp and then reburnt the disc, leaving out the $OEM$ folders for the moment

cannot the disc to even begin the installation process with the cd not being recognised on boot up. obviously i am doing something wrong.

below is a copy of my basic winnt file, any ideas??????????

;SetupMgrTag[Data]    AutoPartition=1    MsDosInitiated="0"    UnattendedInstall="Yes"
[unattended]    UnattendMode=FullUnattended    OemSkipEula=Yes    OemPreinstall=Yes    UnattendSwitch="yes"    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
[GuiUnattended]    AdminPassword=*    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO    OEMSkipRegional=1    TimeZone=85    OemSkipWelcome=1
[userData]    ProductKey=*****-*****-*****-*****-*****    FullName="Darrell"    OrgName="None"    ComputerName=*
[TapiLocation]    CountryCode=44    AreaCode=01200
[RegionalSettings]    LanguageGroup=1    SystemLocale=00000809    UserLocale=00000809    InputLocale=0809:00000809
[identification]    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
[Networking]    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

cheers

darrellw

added Code tags, and removed your serial number from your file.

Does the CD boot fine without the Winnt.sif file on it? Were you installin it the first time on a clean system?

Make sure CDROM is set in the boot options as before your Harddrive in your bios.

cheers for the reply.

burnt cd then installed it on a system with system set to boot from cd and it installed fine.

reburnt cd with just the winnt.sif file added and cannot get the cd to even be recognised

no idea what is going on

cheers darrellw

cheers for the replies.

do not think it it a bad burn as i have had a couple of goes at it.

dragged and dropped all files into nero for first disc that works and pretty sure did the same with just winnt.sif added for second disc that does not work

just to confirm that i DO NOT need the $OEM$ folders in the new disc if i am not adding any updates/hotfixes

run out of ideas

cheers

darrellw

cheers for the replies.

do not think it it a bad burn as i have had a couple of goes at it.

dragged and dropped all files into nero for first disc that works and pretty sure did the same with just winnt.sif added for second disc that does not work

just to confirm that i DO NOT need the $OEM$ folders in the new disc if i am not adding any updates/hotfixes

run out of ideas

cheers

darrellw

hmmm....

how are you starting the Install? via CD boot or Winnt32/Winnt.exe ? If the latter, then you have to use a switch to specifyc the answer file.

If it's the first, I didn't see anywhere where you said you selected teh boot index, so maybe you're not actually including one.

I personally create a ISO image prior to burning using CDImage. You can find it at unattended.msfn.org under Finalizing i think

I have found that nero sometimes unticks the expert settings box on the boot tab after you have dragged and dropped the files.

when you are ready to burn click back to the boot tab and make sure enable expert settings is ticked and the options set to

kindof emulation no emulation

boot message nero boot loader

load segment of sectors 07C0

number of load sectors 4

hope that helps

cheers for the replies, my fault it would not boot, began project a couple of weeks ago with slipstreaming Sp1 with Xp, totally forgot about having to change the settings in nero to make the cd bootable.

so cd now boots but must have cocked up some of the unattended settings as it not quite an unattended setup yet, had to type in various stuff. am waiting for the cd to fully install then i will investigate the info i have had to input manually.

cheers for the replies

darrellw

edit stopped the install part of the way through does not seem to be taking any notice of the winnt.sif, oh well back to the drawing board.

does my winnt.sif file, in my first post look ok

thought i had followed the destructions in setting it up,it is a text file and it lives in I386 folder alongside these other files WINNT32U and WINNTBBA

cheers again

darrellw

cheers for the reply

have used setup manager as per my original post (winnt.sif file posted)

made a few changes. new winnt.sif file as below

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=No

Repartition="Yes"

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

UnattendSwitch="Yes"

Wait For Reboot="No"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=85

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=****-****-****-****-****

FullName="Darrell"

OrgName="None"

ComputerName=*

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=44

AreaCode=01200

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000809

UserLocale=00000809

InputLocale=0809:00000809

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

will see if this is any better

cheers again

darrellw

still cannot get the unattended installation to work, it still ignores my winnt.sif file that sits in my I386 folder

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=No

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=85

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=RHKG3-8YW4W-4RHJG-83M4Y-7X9GW

FullName="Darrell"

OrgName="None"

ComputerName=*

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

Vrefresh=75

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=44

AreaCode=01200

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000809

UserLocale=00000809

InputLocale=0809:00000809

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

do i need to put the winnt.bat file in the same folder as suggested by one website system has single partition and single cd-rom,

could someone please give me some accurate instructions or links THAT WORK for trying the install using the floppy disk method. again i have tried a number of suggestions that simply DO NOT work.

probably going to give up on this as i am getting really very stressed!!!!!!!!!!

cheers again

darrellw

tried with xp disk and no winnt.sif in I386 but put answer file called "Winnt.sif" on floppy, from web but no joy!!!!!!!

do i have to put the floppy in the machine at a a pecific time?????????

how does the xp disc know to look to the floppy for this file????????

about to slit my wrists i think?????????????