Network Setup Question - Need Help

Here is the situation that Ineed to solve. I have a computer with 2 Network Card on a Windows XP SP1a system. In order to test a potential software solution, I need to be able to connect to the internet and establish a VPN connection at the same time. With 1 NIC, my internet traffic is blocked as soon as I establish the VPN connection. So with 2 NIC's - I want to be able to direct the VPN through NIC #1 and the internet traffic through NIC #2. I have gone through the various wizards and settings, and cannot seem to hit the right setup. Anyone here have any ideas about getting this to work?

ls_dragons

My bad... :)

As far as I know, the only machine that should have two NICs is the server that you are connecting two... You should be able to connect with one NIC on your computer! :D

Is your firewall enabled? :rolleyes:

Here is the situation that Ineed to solve. I have a computer with 2 Network Card on a Windows XP SP1a system. In order to test a potential software solution, I need to be able to connect to the internet and establish a VPN connection at the same time. With 1 NIC, my internet traffic is blocked as soon as I establish the VPN connection. So with 2 NIC's - I want to be able to direct the VPN through NIC #1 and the internet traffic through NIC #2. I have gone through the various wizards and settings, and cannot seem to hit the right setup. Anyone here have any ideas about getting this to work?

ls_dragons

The only way I got this to work was to use a server OS, with windows XP, I always had difficulties due to XP auto bridging the network adapters, even when disabled. Your next option maybe to try a Virtual system and try it that way. I know in ISA Server 2000+ you can assign network adapters fuctions, but in this case it doesn't help.

So I could achieve my goal with a server OS -- I have access to Windows Server 2003. Would that work? Any suggestions for resources on how to get the set up I need working with that OS?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I always thought that the idea of VPN was to cut off the host pc from all local network traffic. I would expect any VPN software to be able to check for more nics on the host machine and possibly block them too ( well they should do if they don't).