EVERYONE READ!

VariantX

hello, i have been using microsoft windows for years, i have used windows 95, 98, 98se, win NT, win 2k, and XP. OK first off im not trying to offend anyone, im just stateing the obvious..., I am currently enrolled at a tech academy Learning Cisco Computer Networking, and also working towards my A+ certification. I have been using windows for a good 4-5 years, and just recently i wanted to try Linux because i have heard some great things about it. Let me tell you if you are sick of all the viruses, worms,instability, and you are comupter literate, i would suggest trying one of the linux distros, it is easy to install, at least mandrake linux is, and its FREE.

Ok, well first off, when i first install linux i notice a great increase in performance and internet speed. I also noticed after using it for a month I have NOT had ONE PROBLEM in linux unlike the blue screen of death in windows or a freeze up. Also in linux if you dont like something you can change it. you can change just about anything, and customize the way it looks! For all you gamers and people that invested money into microsoft software you can still use them in linux with the help of Wine, or Winex. For just about every program their is an alternative for linux that is just as good and is also probably free. The best part about it....NO VIRUSES and NO WORMS! Unlike what many people say, i find linux fun and easy to use, i suggest using Gnome or KDE as your Gui. Also you only need 16 megs of ram to run it! My mandrake linux costed me 70 bucks, but i bot the powerpack version which comes with over 3000 programs on 7 cds! I finally feel content with my OS, as its fast and reliable.

But if you like windows stay with windows, cause one thing windows has that linux doesnt for now is its easier to learn! but dont take my word for it try it, you can always dual boot your computer to test it, if you dont like it you can get rid of the partition.

Well good luck, if i have interested you www.mandrake.com, is a great place to start.

well good luck

I believe this is called the Microsoft Software Forum Network for a reason... :)

A few of us already use Linux, but use Windows because it is a lot easier to handle if you know what you're doing...

I'm not much a fan of Linux (but I use it anyway), because of the command line... :rolleyes:

Talk about bringing up almost every Linux cliché in one post.

Truth is, if you have problems with Windows, you're going to have even worse problems with Linux. :)

It's been said before and I'll say it again, if you know what you're doing, Windows won't give you (m)any problems. :rolleyes:

Talk about bringing up almost every Linux cliché in one post.

Truth is, if you have problems with Windows, you're going to have even worse problems with Linux.  :)

It's been said before and I'll say it again, if you know what you're doing, Windows won't give you (m)any problems.  :D

And that's why we don't have a Linux section (or because we got rid of it a LONG time ago)... :rolleyes:

i use debian.

but i will say one thing... try play games on Linux. you will soon be running back to windows for that. Also i cant do without fireworks, and no i arent using GiMP i dont like it.

Last but not least, try install debian, then thank god for unattended windows CD's!

Its good, its powerfull, it looks nice. But it hasnt the industry built around it that windows has, so it lacks REALLY powerfull software to match, i dont care what anyone says, GiMP is no match for Photoshop 8, and GiMP is the best image editor on Linux.

Linux is awesome, but the programs for it often suck and let it down.

And yes there are viruses for linux, just that most viruses get targeted at windows because it is more wide spread and therefore viruses will get more notoriety being written for the platform because they spread further and wider.

I'm an avid user of Linux as well and I'm not trying to offend you but there are a few problems with your statements:

great increase in performance and internet speed
Increase in internet speed? How? The only factor in internet speed is the programs your using to access it. I've done tests with Windows vs. Linux computers and found consistent results to prove that raw internet speed is not dependant on OS.
and customize the way it looks!

What are you refering to here? Dialog boxes? Windows XP, Mac OS and Linux all have the same sort of customization programs for altering appearances.

you can still use them in linux with the help of Wine, or Winex
Have you tried playing UT2k4 or Trainz on a Wine emulator? I take it by the comment above you haven't. Anything that requires DirectX is not likely to work properly.
NO VIRUSES and NO WORMS!

Where did you hear that? There are viruses and worms that target Linux. The reason there aren't many is because Linux is a rather niche market of home PC users. Although a lot of internet servers use Linux, most viruses target home PC users.

16 megs of ram to run it!

You mean you can run the latest KDE or Gnome on 16MB RAM?? I doubt it but even if you could, I doubt you could run many programs on it. And RAM is so cheap nowadays that problems with not enough RAM should be pretty much non-existance.

Again, I have to say I'm not lashing out at you or anyone else. I'm just correcting some mistakes in your post. :)

But, yes, try Linux if you feel up to it. It is a great operating system.

@HyDeNCiTy

I would still suggest trying out Linux though. If you don't want to install it, try a live cd such as Knoppix, which has a lesser likelihood of messing up your computer.

@RaveRod

You hit all the main points I was going to touch on, but didn't feel like typing :)

I'm in love with XP so... I did some testing out of 2K and 98 Lite and a few others, and was not too happy. With XP everything is so much easier for me, so I will stay with it till something else comes out that really catches my eye. :)

Death to the Linux fanboys

Maybe to zealots, not to Linux itself.

-------------------------------

Anyways, I've been using linux for 4 or so years, never had any problems...until recently. I recently switched to Gentoo, mainly because I wanted to recompile everything specifically for my AMD64 machine, rather than running IA32 code.

The network card dies after about 5MB transfer. Only way to fix it is a restart.

Now, before this starts looking like a pro-windows post, I should point out that I have had nothing but problems with windows on the same machine.

Constantly running out of file descriptors (I think), which requires a restart every 24 hours. All network drops out, can't open files, the old-style XP shutdown dialog opens ratther than the 3-button funky one.

Other problems I've come across, but everything is usually fixed quite easily, just as the problems I had with linux.

I plan to go back to linux once the kernel bug is fixed, only because windows s***s me.

Thankfully I have 4 personal machines. :)