XP's network bridge: need help

hrp2171

Howdy,

I have a small XP network. I'm using XP Professional for workstations and I have one 2003 Standard server.

My Network:

1 Wireless Access Point 802.11b also has a built-in dsl router

3 workstations running XP Professional

1 2003 Server Standard

Only one 2 of the XP workstations are currently able to surf and connect to the net:

1 is attached directly to the WiFi AP-DSL router

1 is a laptop using a wireless pcmcia card

The other XP workstation and the server are on a separate network, connected to each other thru a hub, and I don't have a way of running a cat5 cable to the WiFi AP-DSL router. I can't afford to purchase any more equipment. Period!

Now for the clincher. I have installed an ethernet(wired) PCMCIA card in the laptop. From the laptop, I can connect to the Internet through WiFi and also hook up to the separate network through the ethernet card. I created a network bridge on the laptop and assigned it a private ip address and the other needed information. I have also enabled IP routing in XP. On the server, I typed the laptop's network bridge IP address as the gateway. However, I bring up Internet Explorer and cannot surf the 'net. Nor can I see the other workstation attached to the dsl router.

Before some includes instructions on how to create a network bridge in XP, please know that there are plenty of those on the Internet. I know this because that's all I get when I search for 'network bridge' in Google. :)

With all I've done, how come the Server computer can't see pass the laptop and out to the 'net?

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully, I was detailed enough. If you feel more information is needed please let me know. :rolleyes:

Here is some more information:

Wireless Access Point/DSL router: IP = 192.168.1.1

Directly attached to DSL router XP computer: IP = 192.168.1.2

XP laptop with wireless and ethernet cards: Network Bridge IP = 192.168.1.5 and IP Router Enabled in Registry

2003 Server computer: IP = 192.168.1.3

Second XP computer: IP = 192.168.1.4

All the computers have the Wireless AP setup as the default gateway.

From the laptop, I can ping the separate LAN segment and I can ping the segment that's attached to the Wireless AP. Something weird happened though, for a few minutes the 2003 Server box was able to connect to the 'net. I took advantage of that and download the latest patches from MS and also updated AVG. After rebooting, the 2003 server is back to not being able to see beyond the laptop. Weird!

Try disabling Xp's firewalls. It worked for me when I tried to set up a print server that I could access and print from my laptop. I could ping everything through my wap, connected to my router, just couldn't print. (turned off the firewall and bingo)

I know there is a proceedure to open the ports you need for access, then turn Xp's firewall back on.

Treeman