Filename extension change

Try this, I'm @ work at the moment, so I don't have rights to access it, but it seems to have alot to it.

Use the ultimate configuration tool

Contributed by several readers

One of the most full featured Windows XP configuration tools available is hidden right there in your system, but most people don't even know it exists. It's called the Local Group Policy Editor, or gpedit for short. To invoke this editor, select Start and then Run, then type the following:

gpedit.msc

After you hit ENTER, you'll be greeted by gpedit, which lets you modify virtually every feature in Windows XP without having to resort to regedit. Dig around and enjoy!

:) Thanks for that. I've been digging around in there for some time, still haven't found anything that might do that. I haven't turned up anything in searches either.

It's a minor thing really...

Cheers,

all you do is edit the registry key in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced - somewhere around here it'll say WarningIfNotDefault, you just delete that key.

-gosh

I did the same thing. It's not working for me either. You didn't happen to export that key before you deleted it, did you? I don't remember what values were in there. :)

I guess I can fire up my VM with my latest install and grab it there...

It worked for me. In folder options i checked show hidden files and it gave the warning. Then i deleted WarningIfNotDefault, clicked ok. Whent back to folder options, toggled show hidden files folders and no warning. Make sure you clicked on superhidden and deleted it on the right hand side. Don't touch the policy key underneath it.

here's my default registry key in case you guys want the _default_ values.

-gosh

supperhidden.reg

supperhidden.reg

OH, I see. That doesn't relate to my original question. I was asking about the prompt that is displayed when you change a file extention.

For example, when I create a new text file and change the extension to .cmd, Windows displays a warning prompt.

Sorry for the confusion. I do hate the other prompt which your tweak fixes so thanks.

Cheers,

The value alluded to above is not related to the extension change warning the original poster referred to.

The key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\SuperHidden corresponds to the checkbox "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" on the View tab in the Folder Options dialog. The value "WarningIfNotDefault" refers to the confirmation dialog you get when you uncheck (change from its default value) this box. In this case, the text of the dialog is:

Warning

You have chosen to display protected operating system files (files labeled System and Hidden) in Windows Explorer.

These files are required to start and run Windows.  Deleting or editing them can make your computer inoperable.  Are you sure you want to display these files?

[Yes][No]

The default data of the WarningIfNotDefault value is "@shell32.dll,-28964" (without the quotes). This refers to a resource in shell32.dll. If you have a resource editor, open up shell32.dll, navigate to stringtable resource 1811, and resource 28964 in your language should be the text of the dialog quoted above. To remove this prompt, you should remove or rename the value WarningIfNotDefault. This does not affect the extension change warning.