Moving the documents and settings folder ?

black~cobra

Hi,

anyone know a working way of moving the documents and settings folder off the C:\Documents and settings folder to "D:\Doc & Set" , for exemple ? Btw, after the os as been installed, not during the installation of windows with a answer file. :)

I made a search on google, here and on other forums but no working method were found. So , if anyone know a way to move this folder i would appreciate it :rolleyes:

Black~Cobra

It looks like this method will work best, click here to view the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article. (It's under MORE INFORMATION)

Disregard above. Try this page instead.

Make sure you're doing it from an account OTHER than the one you normally log on to, either by making a temp account or booting from a WindowsPE cd.

That's a good reference !

Wish I'd had it about a year ago when I went through this (finally successfully) by trial, error, and educated guess.

Of course, the search and replace in regedit could be quite a daunting task. Just so you don't miss the opportunity to consider it, you could use Reghance (free/ or buy) from Lavasoft (Ad-Aware folks) or Resplendent Registrar (I have pay version, not sure if "Lite" does search and replace like mine).

There are a number of other regedit replacements but I'm not certain of global search and replace capability other than the two mentioned above.

Good Luck !

That's a good reference !

Wish I'd had it about a year ago when I went through this (finally successfully) by trial, error, and educated guess.

Of course, the search and replace in regedit could be quite a daunting task.  Just so you don't miss the opportunity to consider it, you could use Reghance (free/ or buy) from Lavasoft (Ad-Aware folks) or Resplendent Registrar (I have pay version, not sure if "Lite" does search and replace like mine).

There are a number of other regedit replacements but I'm not certain of global search and replace capability other than the two mentioned above.

Good Luck !

Thanks for the tip ! :)

According to info in TweakUi, it can be easier than this for most "Special Folders". Simply Right Click on any "Special Folder", then drag to it's new location and select "Move Here". XP is smart enough to auto-fix the registry, etc. Will not work for the whole Documents and Settings folder, but will work for most subfolders.

According to info in TweakUi, it can be easier than this for most "Special Folders". Simply Right Click on any "Special Folder", then drag to it's new location and select "Move Here". XP is smart enough to auto-fix the registry, etc. Will not work for the whole Documents and Settings folder, but will work for most subfolders.

Thanks ! i didnt know for the drag & drop method :)