today!

If you still like the idea of download times that are twice as fast as

broadband, you can now visit our website and find out how to get blueyonder

1Mb.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

If you're an existing blueyonder customer, you can upgrade online for an

additional £10 per month.  That's £35 a month for the fastest blueyonder

Internet service available (or £39.99 if you don't have another Telewest

service). You'll need your username and password, so please have them ready.

For more information on this and to order your upgrade, please visit

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

blueyonder 1Mb

The fastest way to experience the internet in your home  - only available in

Telewest Broadband areas.

they said it would be a free upgrade dammit!! as for 1mbit line, thats download, it is only 256k upload, which is the same as ADSL in this country. the normal cable service is 512k down, 128k up. Telewest love spouting off in thier advertisements how they are the best choice for gamers, yet in reallity gamers would be far beter off getting ADSL.

ill ring them later on threatening to quit the phone line and internet so i can switch to ADSL, see what they say... they are broke after all :)

they are the best for gamers

they run a dozens of servers for multi player games and if your with telewest your ping should always be lower than NTL lamers :) and bt cheap skate noobs.

Hmmmm, i think that BT is the most stable and reliable ISP (although i have had few problems :rolleyes: ) in the UK. I dont think that cable really compares to DSL, DSL is far better, cable's speed can vary whilst DSL keeps its speed. Goooooo DSL :)

They differ in cost/speeds/availability/security/etc...

C|net has a nice comparison over here

In my area, only DSL is available... the funny part verizon is the phone company and they charge WAY TOO MUCH for the dsl service, and it's capped...

whereas Earthlink gives u all the potential available and is cheaper/similar to the verizon fees...

so in conclusion pia, it all depends...

some companies like Comcast, offer good combo packages (internet + cable tv)

heck even DirectTV are offering some (internet + tv) services.. so if all services are available then it comes down to the speed/cost ratio ..

cables speed can vary? err

everyone i know with ADSL moans about unstable pings, speed changes, especially when the phone network is busy, such as when people where voting on pop idle and the network went nuts.

cable is actually the more stable of the two, but ADSL has a faster upload because of the way the networks are built, BT sell you the half of the line they dont use, as voice conversations are compressed and filtered, its why you sound different on the phone.

cable companies sell you the download traffic, as most of thier network traffic is upload (ie them sending tv channels to houses)

ADSL is only beter if you want to host games or an FTP etc, its much more expensive, and unreliable.

but for stable pings - get cable, phone lines cannot compete with fiber optic networks! BT has a theoretical max line speed of 1mbit down normal phone lines. cables is about ten times that.

i might just move to sweden and sod you all :rolleyes:

as for BT being all roses.... its thanks to them we are in this mess and not having connections like in the rest of europe, i hope they go bust.

my 2c and a 20$ bill :D:)

did i mention i hate BT? i did? good...

I hate Cable. I had it for 3 months and switched immediately to xDSL.

xDSL is maybe expensive but more stable (500%) then cable.

I have xDSL 512/512 and in a 2 years newer, newer had problems, either with pings, speed or whatever.

Cable, no thanks

:)

my 2c

cable is fine for me

i know someone on adsl and they had there service stopped for 2 weeks due to technical problems but the only isp that offers adsl in the UK are well known for being cheap skate rip off merchants they probably thought he was downloading to much really :)

i guess some countrys have better cable and adsl isps that others.

dont all the other adsl isps use bts network though? so you still gonna get the same crappy service from an isp that hates users who download/upload alot

Ahhh,sorry Elite i see what you mean.

I'm with BT openworld and have never been cut off for over use.

Although i know some of the other isp's do have a cut off policy.

Thanks, babis et al. What I also want to know is, how do the different systems work/ differ from each other re: hardware?

For example, dialup uses phone lines. Cable uses coaxial cable.

All I know about DSL is that it's an acronym for direct satellite link. Does it use phone lines? What's ISDN? :rolleyes::):D