Telewest Launch 1MBIT service

FthrJACK

I used to have ISDN before my DSL... Quite good actually :rolleyes: ISDN works by pumping out more packets and they are digitally encoded (me thinks) and so they travel faster through the telephone cables. PLus for me it ran through the same ISP but only at 64k (same price for 56k modem) but if i wanted 128k i had to pay extra (price of a phone call). ISDN was good but no way near as good as DSL :) DSL all the way!! It does beat cable... :D

pia

ADSL stands for

Asymetric Digital subscriber Line

as for equipment.. both use modems, one plugs into a phone socket, and then into a USB socket (adsl)

cable comes out of the hole in the wall where cable tv comes from. then into a modem, then into a network card.

most DSL users have to sign on when they start the PC, rather like dialup. so how they sell it as "always on" ill never know.

cable users are alwys on, reboot pc.. internet is there when it boots back up, no signing on or off ever.

We have DSL in my area which offers 1.5mbit line, download and 256k upload with USB connetion. And its always being pretty stable for gaming and FTP downloads/uploads. Ive played MOHAA on some of the Blueyonder servers, which at times can be really unstable