916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

PerfectDisk rearranges files on the HD according to how often you use the files. it also optimizes them so refragmentation doesn't occur as fast afterwards. PD All The Way!

Screw the "live" Services, just defrag and schedule for shutdown afterwards and go to bed. ;)

PerfectDisk 7 is now installed on one of my test machinces! I'll let you guys know how I like it... :)

I don't think that they'll interfere with each other. Just disable Diskeeper's real-time scanning service and you should be fine.

I have Diskeeper Pro v9.0.515 and PerfectDisk v7.0.34 installed on the same computer. They both work without conflicts/problems! :)

Still converting over to PerfectDisk.... :w00t: Very small program when compared to Diskeeper. I like that. Maybe PerfectDisk was written in Assambly Language - cause it source is extreme tiny biggrin.gif

Edited by Blam-O!

Hi, I'm new here and I thought I would chime in on this.

I use O&O right now and I like it. I don't like the service that has to run in the background.

I have never tried Perfect Disk.

I have use Diskeeper and I like it but it also had a service running in the background.

I'm still thinking of switching Defrags. I'm going to try PerfectDisk and see how good it it.

I use O&O right now and I like it. I don't like the service that has to run in the background.

I have never tried Perfect Disk.

I have use Diskeeper and I like it but it also had a service running in the background.

I'm still thinking of switching Defrags. I'm going to try PerfectDisk and see how good it it.

I beleive PerfectDisk has only one service running in the background - "PDSched.exe". You can safely disable this if you want to manualy Defragment your hard disks - if not using the "Scheldule" feature). There are two other services that do need to Run however - "PDEngine.exe" and "PerfectDisk.exe"; Correct me if I' m wrong:). But these last two services only Run when you you click on the PerfectDisk link. B)

As Diskeeper goes - version 9.0.515+, you can not saftly disable the background services without generating error's due to the mmc.exe. Because Diskeeper uses this file in some way I don't understand.

My testing shows that Diskeeper is on avg faster than PerfectDisk; but does half the job. Where as PerfectDisk may take avg 2-5 min longer - completes the entire task, giving longer lasting performance! :thumbup

PerfectDisk has three entries in services.msc, which are (at least on my machine) all set to automatic and started.

I also believe that "PerfectDisk's taskscheduler services" is needed or else PerfectDisk won't work.

P.S.:

Want a free,legal FULL version of the latest PerfectDisk (version7)?

Buy the German computermagazine CHIP (issue 03/2005), which has the full English version on the included CD :thumbup

Look here: www.chip.de

UM That would be cool to get it for free but I don't read German. I'm too lazy to use google's translation tool. LOL

Thanks. I wish O&O would hurry up and put out the new defrag.

OK I decided on using the goolge translation tool. Where is this at. I don't see anything about them giving away perfect disk.

Sonu27, you must not give a flying crap about the optimization of your HD, then.

PerfectDisk is undeniably the best Defragger out there. This is not a biased statement. The PDF file and happy customers and others switching to PD proves it definitely.

Cheers,

Jeremy

UM That would be cool to get it for free but I don't read German. I'm too lazy to use google's translation tool. LOL

Thanks. I wish O&O would hurry up and put out the new defrag.

OK I decided on using the goolge translation tool. Where is this at. I don't see anything about them giving away perfect disk.

You can't download it.

It is on the CD that comes with the Magazine.

The best defragmentation utility is the one that defragments every file on your hard disk and creates ample contiguous free space for new files.

...oh wait, they all do that.

...oh wait, the built-in Windows defrag app does that.

Defragmentation utilities CAN NOT make your hard drive faster. Defrag utilities CAN NOT increase spindle speed or buffer size. Defrag utilities CAN NOT reduce latency or seek times. Benchmarking utilities are flawed by their very nature and DO NOT reproduce real world access usage.

BTW, I use O&O Defrag because of its useful command line tool that I can easily set as a Scheduled Task on client machines in the middle of the night.

Follow up: Don't bash someone because he uses XP's defragmenter. Not everyone wants to pay extra for a utility that only consolidates free space. That's really the only useful thing all the 3rd party tools do: consolidate free space. Fragmented files hurt performance, that's a fact. Look at the logs before and after an XP defrag. I've never seen a fragmented (unlocked) file after using it. Occasionally, the paging file or the MFT data can become fragmented which can also negativey impact performance. There's a free tool for that though. Google for pagedfrg. I added it to my Unattended CD.

you cant go wrong with disk keeper

it also has the option of defragging in the back grond

so as soon as a file becomes fragmented it will fix it in the background

saving long defrag times.

but i find the most usefull feature is the ability to set it to defrag at a specific time

like 3 in the morning

which givesx me time to go to bed

and defrags while im sleeping.

very usefull