916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

PerfectDisk does not have endless features, but about half a dozen very useful ones. It defrags more than most other defraggers do to not only keep your files organized, but speed up your boot time. And it's not really fancy, it's GUI is more like a modern version of the really old Windows 98 defragger. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
diskeeper 9 pro is da best baby.

No, it isn't. If you like it, power to you. If it was the most efficient defragger, I'd use it. I've heard a lot of bad things about that program in the past week. Knew enough from my own experience before hearing the bad reviews that for efficiency, it is by far not a favorable choice.

Read my post before!

diskeeper is very fast but doesn't sort programs. If you want to speed up your system use a defragger that sorts the files by access time or by name (o&o, perfectdisk and EXPECIALLY speed disk). Yeah speed disk, you can criticize it because it takes years to defragment since it starts from the beginning each time, but hey... it defrags really everything without rebooting (except some system files I think).

Now O&o and perfectdisk latest versions use the layout.ini file to sort system files on the hd and this lowers windows startup time.

If you stay at your pc while defragmenting I suggest you diskeeper and o&o. Speed Disk and sometimes Perfect Disk slows down your system in a too much noticeable way, I suggest you to use them when you're not at your pc.

If you want a good suggestion however, try to use more partitions, if you don't like to have more drive letters you can mount them as folders by using ntfs. And, if you use acronis partition expert or disk director, you can often resize them without rebooting (it even resizes windows partition (only if you want to set it bigger) while you're using windows without rebooting).

Using more partitions will definitively almost solve your fragmentation problems.

• 2 weeks later...
PerfectDisk rearranges files on the HD according to how often you use the files. it also optimizes them so refragmentation doesn't occur as fast afterwards. PD All The Way!

Screw the "live" Services, just defrag and schedule for shutdown afterwards and go to bed. ;)

PerfectDisk 7 is now installed on one of my test machinces! I'll let you guys know how I like it... :)

I don't think that they'll interfere with each other. Just disable Diskeeper's real-time scanning service and you should be fine.
I have Diskeeper Pro v9.0.515 and PerfectDisk v7.0.34 installed on the same computer. They both work without conflicts/problems! :)

Still converting over to PerfectDisk.... :w00t: Very small program when compared to Diskeeper. I like that. Maybe PerfectDisk was written in Assambly Language - cause it source is extreme tiny biggrin.gif

Converted over to "PerfectDisk"!!! (yaah! thumbup.gif )

I really like it and highly recommend it to anyone. cool.gif

I think Diskeeper Pro v9+ would have to come in at second.

Don't even bother with O&O Defrag, or Speed Disk. ouch.gif

Just get PerfectDisk - no more questions, just download PerfectDisk and use it!

Edited by Blam-O!

• 3 weeks later...
What is the best defrag program you guys have used? And were can i get them to try them out  :)

I know such program !

Just run "format c:" :)

Fast and efficiently :hello:

It's not very fun for someone to just sit there and watch the progress bar go by. It isn't very fast for people with larger harddrives. I have a 111 GB HD and it takes me an hour and 40 minutes to reformat. I think people also prefer to keep their data. Don't make little remarks like this, it doesn't help anyone. People want to know how to efficiently manage the data that currently exists on their harddrive. PerfectDisk pwnz at that.

Edited by Jeremy

my vote has to go with PerfectDisk 7, although it does not suport LIVE(you have to do it via reboot before windows start up) defragmenting of your Meta and other core system files. It does defrage the best in terms of space, (witch in return means less defraging). pluse ive tryed other Defrage software like O&O but even with its array of options as far as file placement its no where near as stable as PerfectDisk 7. Perfectdisk 7 is system recource friendly, only takes 4 megs idle and 18-20 while running.

And the next person who post dont just say a name give a reason too no more name shooting.

I use PerfectDisk 7.0.42 now :) Works like a charm... does fill my needs sufficiently

But I stumble across a problem with it every time now that I want to operate PerfectDisk on my new Maxtor HDD 160 GB along with my older Maxtor 40GB...

Ok I have the primary master IDE 160 GB disk partitioned in 7 partitions (and so does my brother's PC, same setup more or less):

1. OS partition (WinXP Pro SP2 (nLited)): NTFS 3.757,4 MB (cluster size: 512)
  2. Drivers partition: FAT32 753,0 MB (cluster size: 512)
  3. Personal data partition: NFTS 2.008,1 MB (cluster size: 512) (see notes below)
  4. Other data partition: NTFS 127.421,8 MB (cluster size: 512) (or 134.285,5 MB (cluster size: 512 (or default 4K)) (see notes below)
  5. Games partition: FAT32 12.056,6 MB (cluster size: 4K)
  6. Pagefile partition: NTFS 1.153,1 MB (cluster size: 512)
  7. temporary files (not IE, may do that in future too): 2,204,2

My brother's PC which I set up is more or less the same, except the temp partition which is 9.067,9 MB NTFS (for making DVDs mainly, will resize it later on), and the other data partition...

Notes:

If I boot up my PC with Hiren's BootCD 7.0 (:D) which contains Partition Magic Pro 8.05 and do some partition work, like resizing size or resizing cluster size, then after a reboot to Windows PerfectDisk acts up very strange...

When I then try to do a offline (or boot time) defrag on both disks for the OTHER DATA or personal data partition (partition number 3), then one of those partitions (mainly on primary slave) can not be verified according PerfectDisk during boot/offline defrag (error code 1392,2). chdsk /f /r is advised to run, but even running that program several consecutive times, does not solve that PerfectDisk mystery.

This problem only comes up if I run the disks (i.e. my brother's 160 GB HDD as primary master or slave AND my 160GB HHD as primary slave or master) parallelly connected to IDE0 (is only option that will work for those big HDDs cos, IDE1 is not ATA100 or ATA133 connector port on my PC and om my bro's PC as well).

And mostly of the time it does not occur if I run the disks as standalone as primary master on IDE0 after doing a partition copy with PM 8.05 from Disk 0 to Disk 1, meaning no other partition work is been done (deleting/creation/resizing/resizing clusters)

But I have come accross a nice solution, mayB Uninstalling and reinstalling PerfectDisk (after a reboot, just to make sure) may work after doing my partition resize and stuff. I had come to that conclusion when I used partition copy/drive copy programs and booted windows on "new" disk and PerfectDisk gave me error could not load some dll files...

Or not to have my older Maxtor 40GB next to it, but I will need it cos I have other plans for it in mind...

I will be putting Ghost Images on that disk, as wel as my Internet downlads in form of torrents and stuff...

• 2 weeks later...