916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

I've used several different defragment utilities over the years and none of them are perfect it seems to me.

Diskkeeper showed promise, but it doesn't seem to live up to it's promises. Using some of it's better features like the set it and forget it and screen saver mode can cause problems on the PC. Plus it doesn't seem to help with performance over the long run.

Back in the days of FAT32 and FAT16 I really felt that PC Tools Speed Disk was probably the best. It was slow, but it did a rather thorough job of it.

The default defragger that comes with Windows still is and always has been nearly useless.

I recently discovered a product called Ultimate Defrag by disktrix.com They have released their older version to home users for free so you can download and try it out. I like all the options, but if you do anything that reorganizes your drive completely it will take a long time to do it. The main thing that I noticed was after allowing it the necessary time to completely reorganize my drive there was a very noticeable difference in performance. I can't say the same for Diskkeeper or the windows default defragger. In order to maintain the performance boost I now run in fragment files only mode which takes only a few minutes to run. I do this about once a week or anytime I do a bunch of cleanup on my system and it's been performing better than it ever has.

So, just from my experiences I have to say that I think Ultimate Defrag is one defrag utility that is not a waste of money, and even the free version is a worthy product.

BTW, I have tried Ultimate Defrag 1.72, which is now freeware and it may be better than JKDefrag 3x! ;)

I'm looking forward to JKDefrag 4!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

• 2 weeks later...